Recommend me a replacement for my L4

chefwong

Newly Enlightened
hi flashoholics -

I lost my L4 and need a replacement. Network engineer that crawls around in all the wrong tight places.

Love the size and brightness of the L4.
Is there any others I should be looking/comparing to as a replacement.

I'm not a CPF guru. At that time, when I researched lights....the L4 was the cats paw at the time.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an L4 with the Luxeon V as well. Difficult to find something else with the same beam profile, which is a wall of light...

The new L4 with a P4 is already different as they say, less floody. The Quark with XP-G R5 give you a huge hotspot and a floody beam, but not that wall of light. You'd want a tactical one I guess.

Zebralight headlamps are pure flood, but not as bright as the L4

Give is more details about the beam profile your job really requires!

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,

I have a Surefire L2 (luxeon V) and found a worthwile replacement in a Malkoff M60LF. It's about 140 lumens of flood.
If installed in a Surefire 2 cell, it should only be marginally larger than an L4.

The L4/L2 got it's great and unequalled flood from it's texturized reflector, but mostly from it's luxeon V led, which was, in a way, something like an early MC-E or a P7 led with a cluster of 4 leds, put in a square.

The Malkoff, on the other hand, gets it's flood from it's beam diffuser, that is installed as a lens.
It's different, but it works.

In a way I would very much like to see Malkoff make a drop-in with a Cree MC-E at about 140 lumens (M60-E LLF ?), that would truly be a modern L4/L2.

Kind regards,
Joris

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Inova T1 uses 2xCR123A and throws a wall of light with a warm tint. The version I use is 100 lumens, but the newest version has been increased to 110 lumens.