New (Old) NovaTac 85-T

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coming off my futile quest for the last of the Ra 85-TRs, I consoled myself with a NovaTac 85 T from the 'Hound. Pretty hard to pass up, with the current price and the -2%.

I'm really impressed with this little light. I've always liked the beam pattern from the SSC P4s, having a LumaPower LM31 and LM33. A bright wide hotspot with a gradual transition to spill, and not a hint of rings or distortions or defects. The tint on the NT is much better though, pure white, I'd say 'snow white,' while the LPs tend towards pink in one case and green in the other. On the 85 lumen setting, the Nova is just perceptibly brighter than the LM33, which seems about right since the LM33 is rated at 90 emitter lumens, so it's probably putting out about 65. I'm honestly not sure that the human eye can even tell the difference between 65 and 85 lumens, so maybe it was the tint difference that I was really noticing. But I'd say the 85 lumen rating is spot on.

The other preset levels are just about perfect for everyday use. The 10 lumen setting is a good all-around close range level, and the .3 lumens is more than adequate for navigating in the dark. Runtime on the .3 lumen setting is reported to be ridiculously long. Wihich probably doens't really matter, unless you're a character in "Pitch Black," but it's cool to know that the thing will run for like 10 days.

There have been alot of keys pecked debating whether the Nova 85s will give longer runtimes at 85 lumens the the Nova 120s, and I don't think anyone has really made a final determiantion of that question. I actually don't care, since 95% of the time, I'll be using 10 lumens and .3 lumens.

The form factor (I probably should just say shape) of the light is interesting, and I thought it might be a bit awkward to hold. In use, it turned out to be just the opposite and is actually one of if not the most comfortable lights I have. The checkering is great. The anodizing is nice and even. The light seems adequately tough without being overly chunky. The size is just about perfect Might be a bit big for the front pocket of a tight pair of jeans, but I'm at the age where I oughtn't be wearing such things anymore, anyway.

I thought I'd like the bezel down clip, and it seemed ok. But my tailcap seems welded to the body tube and short of taking a wrench to the little thing, it ain't going anywhere. So my Nova's going clipless. It also occured to me that the great feel of the light would go right down the drain as soon as that clip went on, so I'm not unhappy.

The UI just may be the best thing since sliced bread. Really. I thought it might be tricky. It's not. Takes about 30 secons to figure out, and then you wonder why other lights are still using clickies. Wow.

Two other interesting items. My Surefire E-series red filter fits it like it was made for it. :) Not a dedicated red LED, but it works just fine. Maybe I'll get a blue filter. Don't know why I'd need one. But it should be cool.

Now, the strobe. I'm not a strobe guy. I'm not a tactical guy. The only use I've got for strobe is as a warning beacon, to say "please don't run me over" if I'm stuck on the side of the road at night or to tailstand on a table if my 5 year old wants to do disco dancing. I've got one on my T10 and really don't care much about them one way or the other in general. The one on the NT is cool, though. I didn't think it would be much of a strobe at all at only 85 lumens, but this thing actually makes my head swim, even if I'm not looking at it, and it's illuminating the wall. Must be the particular frequency. It won't make me puke, but it's definitely odd and unpleasant. Gives me sort of a lightheaded or dizy feeling. Or maybe more like vertigo. It isn't dramatic, but its very perceptible. So, yes, apparently some strobes do work. It wouldn't stop me from doing something nefarious if that were my intent, and wouldn't slow me down in doing so at all. But it is cool. Too bad my wife doesn't have cats anymore, they might like it...Ok, just kidding.

So this turned out be a good purchase, IMO. It's replaced, at least for the time being, my Quark clipless 123 as my EDC. Next week's incoming is a SureFire E1L, so I'll have some fun comapring the Nova and the SureFire.

The one thing I'm really sure of now that I've found I really like the NT, is that I want a Ra. I don't know now whether I'll got the EDC Executive I was originally considering or go for a 170 Cliky or do a custom with a hi CRI emitter. I think the EDC might be too close to the performance of the Nova, so I might have to set my sights a bit higher, just so the Ra doesn't duplicate the NT. Can't have that now.

Helmut.G

Enlightened
Yup. But it's pretty much where I want it, as is. Gues I could diitch the strobe setting entirely, put the high setting at 42 lumens, and put 85 lumens in place of the strobe, so I'd only use the battery-sucking 85 lumens an even smaller fraction of the time.

just like I have programmed mine ;)

Gatsby

Enlightened
I've long preferred the Arc4/HDS/Novatac/Ra UI over just about anything else - it really is well conceived and very very useful. And not that hard to learn either I think. Of course I've been using a variation of it now for quite awhile...

Not only can you turn it into an 85P, but if you drop in a K2 emitter you'll end up with an equally nice beam and a high output that will be a good bit more impressive. But I'll be honest I had an 85P and my current 120P and I can't say that I really could tell much of a difference on high - it is visible but not worlds of a difference. The K2 is another matter - it keeps up with my Milky Creemator on RCRs... but you want to talk about battery sucking power, holy cow, and it does get hot rather quickly.

Enjoy - I still think that the old Novatacs remain the best EDC light around in terms of form factor and functionality (the Ra's are a bit too large - the Novatac and E1L are about my pocket carry limit already).

Mr_Moe

Newly Enlightened
About a year ago I bought the EDC 85. One of the best purchases in all my life. The other day I was invited over at a friend's house. Him and me showed our flashlights. (The other guest uses a 4D Maglite.) My buddy showed his Fenix and I my NT. Guy noted how rugged the NT seems to be. And in the days of hundreds of Lumens I am constantly amazed how bright 85 can be. Quite blinding. And simple to operate too. What more can you ask for? (A bezel with trit slots, maybe?)

aldagoods

Newly Enlightened
Awesome on the new/old purchase. Ive had a 120P for a few years now; just picked up in the last month two old/new 85's for my dad and youngest brother. They dont say 85P, or 85E [just plain 85 on the box], but they have the tactical switch. Easter egged both of them, and set them up like the 120. I use that .3 lumen setting more than anything. Agree that the 85 v. 120 on high is noticable, but not tons different. I live in LA, and the local gun shop where I bought my 120P has had 2 85's buried in a display case for as long as I can remember. couldnt pass them up any longer. Serials are super low - 11410 and 11424. Saw some of the new storms, and the reflector looked different and they felt lighter. I really wanted the old circuitry.

That said, the second one which I picked up today, the tailcap was a bit angry while unscrewing it. Because these things were on a shelf for 2-3 years, the lube all but dried out. Get one of those rubber banded jar openers, and you should be able to get the tail off without using plyers or anything abrasive. You probably want to clean that cap out and lube up the o-ring before it deteriorates. Nyogel helped a ton. If the o-ring is jacked, they cost a buck each on lighthound.
http://www.lighthound.com/search.asp?keyword=novatac

Even with all the new lights out [have a 6PL, and an E2e with the TLS conversion head], really love the versatility of these, and the lows are second to none. The 120P goes everywhere with me. enjoy man!

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome on the new/old purchase. Ive had a 120P for a few years now; just picked up in the last month two old/new 85's for my dad and youngest brother. They dont say 85P, or 85E [just plain 85 on the box], but they have the tactical switch. Easter egged both of them, and set them up like the 120. I use that .3 lumen setting more than anything. Agree that the 85 v. 120 on high is noticable, but not tons different. I live in LA, and the local gun shop where I bought my 120P has had 2 85's buried in a display case for as long as I can remember. couldnt pass them up any longer. Serials are super low - 11410 and 11424. Saw some of the new storms, and the reflector looked different and they felt lighter. I really wanted the old circuitry.

That said, the second one which I picked up today, the tailcap was a bit angry while unscrewing it. Because these things were on a shelf for 2-3 years, the lube all but dried out. Get one of those rubber banded jar openers, and you should be able to get the tail off without using plyers or anything abrasive. You probably want to clean that cap out and lube up the o-ring before it deteriorates. Nyogel helped a ton. If the o-ring is jacked, they cost a buck each on lighthound.
http://www.lighthound.com/search.asp?keyword=novatac

Even with all the new lights out [have a 6PL, and an E2e with the TLS conversion head], really love the versatility of these, and the lows are second to none. The 120P goes everywhere with me. enjoy man!

I've got a couple of those rubber jar openers, I'll give them a try. This light was probably sitting around the lighthound warehouse for a couple of years, too, so it may just be the lube has dried out, as you obsreved. The lube on the head / body tube was fine. I've got Nyogel, and I should have ordered some extra o-rings. I shoudl have thought of that when I got the light. :( Funny the light didn't come with them...

It does seem to be a very nice light. The beam profile is beautiful, though it definitely not a thrower. And you are right, that .3 lumen low is great. The only other light I have that does as good a low is my neutral tint Quark. I just got an E1L, and the 3-lumen low (which is probably actually about 6-7 lumens) is much, much brightter. Not a real low, IMO. All my other lights now actually seem waaaaaay to bright on their lows.

(On the other hand, the high on the E1L is no where near 45 lumens, by ceiling bounce, and comparison to ther lights, it's much closer to 70 or 80.)