why titanium?

stickman

Newly Enlightened
I know I'm just a noob, but I'm having a hard time understanding the desire for a titanium torch when the same results can be had in stainless for a much lower cost. Is it the cool factor? Both can be polished (I prefer polished stainless here). Both can be blasted, brushed, etc. Yet stainless would clearly cost much less.
I can't be strength. There are many Ti and SS alloys and I'm sure the Ti lights aren't the high grade(strength) alloys. With that said chucking your light from a 2 story building I doubt the electronics would survive in either based on an avg number of drops.
So....help me out here!

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
Sounds like you already have a very valid personal preference for stainless, so what does it matter? Titanium is lighter weight than steel, but that is the only practical advantage. If you like steel stick with that. If you're that curious about ti, buy a ti light, and sell if you don't prefer it. Part of the draw is indeed the cool factor, the collectability. Titanium does have more of a gray-blue color than steel, which is kind of neat. In that case, cost is not a factor. If the idea of a ti light doesn't grab you - well everyone has their own likes and dislikes. Again, you'll probably be happy with SS.

I constantly see this on internet forums - people questioning something because of high cost. If it is the price of something that is an issue, then don't buy it. End of problem.

Last edited:

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
Personally my draw to Ti over Stainless Steel would be considerably lighter weight at close to the same strength. That being said, aluminum is even lighter yet, and while not as strong is generally strong enough, and cheap too... so Aluminum is usually my top choice. It's all about personal preference and your uses though - so if you don't see any advantage to Ti for your use/preferences, then don't buy it

Last edited:

sed6

Enlightened
I know I'm just a noob, but I'm having a hard time understanding the desire for a titanium torch when the same results can be had in stainless for a much lower cost. Is it the cool factor? Both can be polished (I prefer polished stainless here). Both can be blasted, brushed, etc. Yet stainless would clearly cost much less.
I can't be strength. There are many Ti and SS alloys and I'm sure the Ti lights aren't the high grade(strength) alloys. With that said chucking your light from a 2 story building I doubt the electronics would survive in either based on an avg number of drops.
So....help me out here!

I'll bite. I have one Ti light, a custom neck light I wear 24/7. It's made from Ti because other metals react with my skin and produce a rash. Ti is magical (or whatever the correct term is) in that it doesn't react with my skin, is impervious to salt and sweat and is cool.

I'll add that very few of us pick our lights soley for their function. Form matters too!

Last edited:

shilent

Newly Enlightened
I too prefer the looks of stainless steel over titanium. The only reason I'd choose titanium is because of the weight. Steel is like twice the weight and if it were to be my everyday carry light, titanium hands down.

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
I'll bite. I have one Ti light, a custom neck light I wear 24/7. It's made from Ti because other metals reach with my skin and produce a rash. Ti is magical (or whatever the correct term is) in that it doesn't react with my skin, is impervious to salt and sweat and is cool.

forgot that one, ti is also 'hypoallergenic' as the marketers say.

carrot

Flashaholic
Extreme corrosion resistance, lower weight than stainless, stronger and harder than aluminium, and higher thermal resistance means "warmer" to the touch. Many titanium lights are 6AL-4V, which is much stronger than stainless. I wear a Ti light around my neck and I know it will not corrode.

stickman

Newly Enlightened
I'm not asking because of cost alone. A Ti quark is penny's compared to surefire in cost. I know there are many reasons for each person. Obviously those exposed to salt spray would prefer Ti in the long run....."if" they managed to keep their light after better designs come out! I'm aware of it's properties. Just curious in getting different point of views from others around here.

stickman

Newly Enlightened
hadn't seen the alloy listed until now. Is this with most all light manufacturers?

Titanium 6AL-4V, or ASTM alloy standard Grade 5[1], is one of the most common and available types or grades of titanium alloys. It is the most widely used titanium alloy, e.g. for Aerospace, Medical, Marine, and Chemical Processing. Among its many advantages, it is heat treatable. This grade is an excellent combination of strength, corrosion resistance, weld and fabricability. In consequence, its uses are numerous such as for military aircraft or turbines. It is also used in surgical implants[2]. Generally, it is used in applications up to 400 degrees Celsius. Its properties are very similar to those of the 300 stainless steel series, especially 316.
It has a density of roughly 4500 kg/m3, Young's modulus of 110 GPa, and tensile strength of 1000 MPa.[3] By comparison, annealed type 316 stainless steel has a density of 8000 kg/m3, modulus of 193 GPa, and tensile strength of only 570 MPa.[4] And tempered 6061 aluminium alloy has 2700 kg/m3, 69 GPa, and 310 MPa, respectively.[5]

Last edited:

AMRaider

Enlightened
It really depends on the manufacterer. Some use 6Al-4V (Grade 5) while others use Commercially Pure Grade 2. Between the two, Grade 5 has the higher tensile strength.

motorwerks

Newly Enlightened
Whats up Stickman!!! I swear we are on like 4 or 5 of the same Forums now. LOL

Anyhow I can speak for Ti lights but I prefer Ti Bike parts they are LIGHT, and hold up like no other.

sed6

Enlightened
Whats up Stickman!!! I swear we are on like 4 or 5 of the same Forums now. LOL

Is this the same stickman as on ar-15.com? If so you need to buy some lights, take some cool pics, and impress everyone here with your photography skills!

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me a SS flashlight isn't practical. I have a SS Maratac AAA and it weighs more than my AL Maratac AA. Unless your talking a light the size of a AAA, SS is just not practical for EDC IMO. Could you imagine a Ra in stainless? It'd be a boat anchor!

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally my draw to Ti over Stainless Steel would be considerably lighter weight at close to the same strength. That being said, aluminum is even lighter yet, and while not as strong is generally strong enough, and cheap too... so Alimunum is usually my top choice. It's all about personal preference and your uses though - so if you don't see any advantage to Ti for your use/preferences, then don't buy it

Yes, and aluminum has better heat transfer than titanium or stainless steel. Along with its weight and relative cheapness, it is obviously the superior material for LED flashlights. However I wouldn't mind owning an incandescent in titanium for the strength and cool factor. I would not want to own one in LEd though.

IMSabbel

Enlightened
For me, I like the look of brushed / powder coated Ti.
Plus it feels nice, with its low heat conductivity.

Sadly, the latter is not that nice for a flashlight, while for the former, most lights are polished and just look boring shiny.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not asking because of cost alone. A Ti quark is penny's compared to surefire in cost. I know there are many reasons for each person. Obviously those exposed to salt spray would prefer Ti in the long run....."if" they managed to keep their light after better designs come out! I'm aware of it's properties. Just curious in getting different point of views from others around here.

4 sevens lights do bring down the cost quite a bit, but it really does not make much sense to spend $500 on a Ti light that cannot be easily upgraded to future LEDs. So, I think I agree with you from where you are coming from.
A Ti P60 host would be a nice find, but these are currently one off customs. This type of host would be easily upgradable though.
As far as bezel rings, I always go for the SS option over the Ti. Why? Because usually they are made with 400 series SS and withstand impacts better than Ti. Plus, Ti and Al aren't always best friends when sharing threads.
Ti has the bling look going for it, so I suppose it will always attract customers looking for jewelry.