A new but old flashaholic?

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
My Dad carried a Mag 3C for years until I gave him a Scorpion and 6 batteries about 7 months ago. Since that time I have given him a few Pelican L1's an ARC AAA and a Pelican M-6. I also sent him another (10) 123 batteries. Yesterday HE bought a Surefire G2 then called to ask if I could tell him where to buy batteries because he's out. Hmmmmm, someone has been using their lights a lot and didn't tell someone they liked then and used them often even though this someone knows his Dad, I mean someone doesn't have a recurring need for a high power torch. This someone also knows the batteries in his old Mag 3C lasted about 2 years.

I will be seeing him Tuesday for a couple of hours on a business trip. I will give him 2-dozen batteries so he doesn't go out and pay $3 each. I will see how long these last before I confront him about his flashaholism. He's 71 years old, he should know better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tattoou2

Enlightened
May he stay forever young! Thanks for sharing a great story, Dave. One is never too young nor too old to share this fascination we all know so well.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a pretty cool story, I just gave my Dad a G2 and some extra batteries and he just asked for some extra batteries as well. May we be in the battery supplying business for a long time.

Greta

Flashaholic
I found out yesterday that my husband has snuck off behind my back and become a flashaholic. He has been in denial, you see. Calls me a crazy lady and scowls at me when he says that I'm sucking him into this sick and twisted world.

We were at the mall in Vegas yesterday and they have a brand new Galyan's. It's the first time I'd seen it. But my husband was there last month. So we're walking around looking at stuff and I asked if they had flashlights and without pause, he pointed and said, "over there is whole section". Mind you, he'd only been there once before. But he knew exactly where the lights were. Yep. He was busted.

So we went over to the flashlight section and my son looked and said with disgust, "Mags". I was so proud at that moment. But then we all moved down a bit and there were Dorcys and Princeton Techs and a whole bunch of others. Even a few small Streamlights. But the crowning moment was when we all saw the Ultra Stinger on sale for $99. A collective "OOOO!" was heard.

tattoou2

Enlightened
My wife has never shared my interest in knives; however, after I presented her with a new ARC AAA, I saw this little glee in her eye transform itself into a budding interest. Yesterday afternoon, out of the blue, she asked what I thought of an SF E2e for daily carry. Later that afternoon, she then sends me the URL for Chris Ogaz's TnC splash ano lights saying "how pretty they were!" This morning before heading out to my chemo treatment, I noticed my ARC LSH-P was missing from its usual spot on my desk. She then confessed in an email she "just had to take it" to show it to some fellow-workers. I think I'll just let her keep it and gradually cultivate her interest. She's an electrical engineer, so her background and education don't hinder things. I consider myself very blessed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
tattoou2 said:
...This morning before heading out to my chemo treatment...She's an electrical engineer, so her background and education don't hinder things. I consider myself very blessed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

tattou2,

Good luck with that and congratulations on your compatible significant other /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brightnorm

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Dang! I have so far drug one buddy kicking and screaming into LED with a modded MiniM*g...

I work on my Dad and Sister, and customers and friends I like and have only got the one to bite.

However, I am planning to give either an Opalec Mini or Madmax Mini to a very good friend/customer to see if I can cultivate something...

d'mo

Enlightened
I've been able to get my dad a bit into better flashlights with a Photon2 (he loves it), UKE 2AAA and Osram fluorescent. I can't get him to take the plunge with an Arc LS - I just can't get him beyond the price tag. Anything other than AAA, AA, C or D batteries is immediately pooh-poohed as well. When I tell non-flashaholics prices, they typical response is, "That would buy a lot of _insert brand here_." I long for the day when Arc's are available in Wal-mart and everyone will be able to appreciate them!