• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Make a Surefire into a camcorder light?

bpzle

Newly Enlightened
Greetings gents! (I'm assuming there's no ladies subscribing to a flashlight forum :D)

SO I've done a bit of Googelin' around.. haven't found what I'm looking for. So here I am.

I just left a big box retailer and shelled out $100 for a camcorder light. What a piece of junk! Especially for someone who is used to Surefire quality "illumination tools."

So, I know they make "good" camcorder lights for hundreds, but I'm not exactly putting footage on the evening news, yet... I'm just a techie and a soon to be dad who wants to capture all the precious moments, no matter the lighting.

I remember reading somewhere (maybe Surefire testimonials?) that someone rigged up a Surefire for a live broadcast after their primary light failed... That's what got me thinking...

I've always got a Surefire close by, why not find/ make some sort of a mount for my camera?

I called Surefire tech support, they didn't have many ideas... Maybe you guys can come up with something.

I've got an L2, G2 LED, and a 6P LED. I'd probably like to use the L2 since it has the brightest output and is sort of diffused to begin with. I'd probably pair it with a F04 diffuser from Surefire.

I've got a Sony HDR-XR500 HD camcorder (pretty shweet I might add). It's got a pretty small accessory shoe, but I'm sure we could make something work.

You guys got any ideas for the mounting? Some sort of adapted piccany mount that could snap onto an accessory shoe for the camera??? Maybe some sort of ring mount?

Thanks in advance for your input!