Anyone else notice light makers can't focus beams' right?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only light I've had recently with a properly focused beam was an E2L that I sold, unfortunatly. I've had several lights since then and two now and none of them seem to have the beam focused correctly - all with a dark center in the middle of the hotspot. I won't name the makers because I don't run makers down.

I just wanted to ask around and see if it was just my bad luck or have others experienced it too?

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
that seems to be one of the biggest problems of using a parabolic reflector with a XR-E, have you tried out any of the newer XP-E or XP-G lights, or is this actually with one of those?

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every XP-G light I own has some sort of dimmer area in the hotspot except the Quark R5, and a couple MC-E has it as well. I don't know enough about reflectors and emitters to know why they leave it this way but I have to believe it has something to do with maximizing throw because it seems a light with a deeper reflector with the XP-G is more prone to have this issue.

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
Most of the lights I have had all seem to have great to good beams.
EagleTac T10LC2
EagleTac T20C2 with OP
Fenix PD30
Fenix P3D

Even my Olight M30 has what I consider a great beam for an MC-E.

BTW, what a great quote you have in your sig:

FAILURE TO PLAN ON YOUR PART DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN EMERGENCY ON MY PART.

Last edited:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes one of my lights is XPG based and it has a more pronounced "donut hole" than the other. However I should point out that NEITHER are absolutely terrible, I just notice it cuz I'm a flashoholic. I would think the people making them would notice too though, which is kinda my point.