10X Dominator-feedback

richpalm

Banned
Well, I'm probably crazy, ($$$$ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif) but... might look into a 10X down the road.

How do you folks like yours? What do you use to carry? (couldn't locate holsters, etc.) Runtime in reality? Built good? (connection between battery/handle concerns me) Any comments much appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Rich (I must be nuts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif)

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 10X is the most powerful small handheld made and it is made very well. I get about 17 -18 minutes using the 110L and 500L lamps.

chr00t

Newly Enlightened
I do not own 10X. I have seen many forums talk about 10X. Not worth to have it. There is no holster for this 10X.

jtivat: most powerful small handheld?! How abot X990 HID flashlight. That is most most powerful handheld and I have seen the beamshot. The price should be same between X10 flashlight and X990 HID flashlight.

10X runtime 18 mins too short compare X990 70 mins per battery. X990 comes with 2 batteries with charger AC (home) and DC (12V automobile).

Let me run compare others to make sure I am correct or not.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah yes but I said small, I do not even classify the X990 as a flashlight (that is a discussion all to its own) try putting it in your pocket. The X10 also has a low output option with about a three hour runtime. The X10 can be purchased for about $325 and the cheapest I have seen an X990 is $470. I am not knocking the X990 but they are two totally different beasts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Now if we could convice SureFire to put a 5W LED in place of the low power lamp, we would have a big brother to the A2.

Tom

chr00t

Newly Enlightened
jtivat: I understand. Isn't X10 small flashlight? I looked surefire's website. It look big similar size of X990.

Do you have X10 and X990 handy? Why not take picture compare the size + handle + beamshot + etc.

btw X10 does not have flood and spot. I know X990 does have flood and spot adjust.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an X10 but have only seen the X990 so I can not take any pictures. The X10 only weights 20 oz. and is 9.5 inches long where the X990 is 6.25 LBS. but I could not find dimensions on the X990. Like I said the X990 is a great light but the question was about the X10 which I feel is a great well built light and the one a grab anytime I need a lot of light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, the 10X is about half the size of the X990, in only that the bezel of the 10X makes the light look much bigger. In use, the 10X is much better to carry than the X990, although I do have to say, that the X990 can be carried in my perferred stance: a rocket launcher (watch me launch some photons! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif )...

The 10X is great for duty lighting, say around the house or in the yard, or maybe even fishing or a hike at night. It's a lot of light from the 500+ lumens output, so it's great for a long throw and a wide area illumination. It doesn't have a holster (well, you can make youself one, though), but this usually doesn't detract me from using it. I can't see this as a LEO EDC light, though, as it may not be kind to impacts, and I won't dare drop mine (that's a job for the beefier M6)...

I classify the 10X as a small, handheld spotlight, not just because of the short runtime of the light when in 500+ lumens mode, but in that it's throw and area use is quite good, and its beam, although somewhat oval, is still very usable...

Skyline

Enlightened
I've got a 10X and I don't regret spending money to buy it at all. It's a great light. Having 110lu and then 550+ lu in a split second is really great. Most of time the low power lamp is sufficient. As such, runtime has never been an issue for me.

The 10X looks large in pictures, but when I first got it, I was shocked at how small it is. It's small enough that I often just jam it in the rear pocket of my jeans and go about my business. The battery and head on the 10X are quite well balanced in the hand. It's not head heavy at all.

I really don't think comparing the 10X and X990 is apples to apples. You've got two different lights for two totally different applications.

I really love my M6 as well. The 10X is more flood than the M6's spot, but I can use the 10X with abandon. No expensive batteries to worry about!

richpalm

Banned
OH boy! You're all wearing me down! Gotta hold off for now... had a big enough flashaholic binge lately. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

I also considered the M4 but am attracted by the low beam capability of the 10x. (night time dog walks, etc.) And the runtime is enough. 500 lumens in case of nasty critters, 2 and 4 legged and for bumps in the night.

That M4 would eat batteries like water so I dropped that idea.

Thanks for all your input. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Rich

Flashaholics creed: "Resistance is futile"

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
I think the 10X is one of the best flashlights I have.
Certainly the best flashlight I've ever bought.

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO!

The 10X is a great flashlight, and absolutely worth the price. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I have in my collection several of the M6`s, the 10X`s and one X990. All are spectacular flashlights, and each play a different role.

For instance...

When someting goes "bump" in the night, one of my Surefire M6`s (with a lanyard attached) is cradled next to my Glock 21 (.45 caliber) pistol. I`ll trust both of them with my life and the lives of my family. You can`t get higher praise than that.

The 10X, however, is a truly spectacular flashlight. I would also trust it for self defense...if it had a lanyard. It doesn`t (that I know of), but it can put out a brilliant HUGE WALL of bright light that is brighter than the M6. For that reason, I`d grab the 10X for normal and "civilian" uses, when all appears well in the world. It can turn the darkest night into high noon anytime you want.

The X990 is one of the brightest lights that I have, and B52 bombers could use it for a runway light if all else failed. BUT...it`s a lot bigger and a lot heavier than the M6 and the 10X, and will never take over their self defense and/or regular civilian roles for that reason.

Get the 10X, and you will proudly possess one of the best and brightest flashlights ever made. YOU WILL NEVER REGRET GETTING IT. PERIOD!

Other than that...the 10X is not a bad flashlight. Buy it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Best wishes to you.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The Surefire 10X Dominator Rechargeable Flashlight is one of the best portable illumination products ever made. For sheer light product output for its size, it is second to none.

I evaluated one for over seven consecutive months. I carried it in a Pelican hard polymer case during that time. Carrying it on-body is silly and is not easy.

For something as expensive as it is, I did not subject it to the same applications as other such as the Streamlight and Mag Instrument Rechargeable Flashlights. If I had the slightest concern (and I did) about it getting damaged during the usage I put the others through, it is not intended for that application.

As another CPF member said, <font color="red">for normal and "civilian" uses </font>, it is quite suitable.

zackhugh

Enlightened
After all these glowing reviews of the 10X, I wish I had bid higher on that one I was trying to get on eBay (eventually went for $312, I think). Oh well, next time I guess.

Dennis

Newly Enlightened
Just a FYI...

I and many (though not that many because the 10x is $$$!) use the 10x for various LE work, uniform and plainclothes assignments. It fits into the sap pocket of uniform pants and I easily carry it in my rear left slash pocket of my RR 5.11 pants, though I must admit that it isn't all that comfortable stuck into normal rear or even thigh cargo pockets. The 10x is really more of a "duty" light that you carry around as an extra tool, not as an EDC belt light. I have taken low light shooting classes where I repeatedly had to draw my weapon and 10x (rear slash pocket) from concealment. Wasn't easy, but got it to work fine.

On a side note, lanyards on flashlights are a personal preference, but my issue is that when using a firearm how do you get your light back after a reload? You may never lose the light, but after you drop it to the end of the lanyard so you can reload and ignoring the fact that the hanging light may get in your way, how do you reliably get the light back into your hand using only that hand? Your cool bouncy move may work at home, but in the middle of a fight? In various positions? On the move?

If anyone knows, tell me! I currently just use the light trapped under my strong armpit hi-tech maneuver. Had no problems reloading and regaining my light under stress or on the move.

Oh yeah, the 10x is a great light. The combination low/high beam makes it a real duty light with long life and available super brightness. It has also withstood many drops onto dirt and asphault much better than I expected, no broken bulbs!

Size15's

Flashaholic
I think it's a valid point that the 10X may look strange (okay it does look strange), but it isn't as fragile as I guess most people expect.

I suppose it's also important to consider that if you're not willing to drop your 10X or discard it due to the value you place on it because of it's price, then you shouldn't use it for activities in which it's possible to have to discard everything in order to prevail.

The 10X may well be two flashlights in one, but it should not be the only fashlight you have on you.

Al