Take NT heatsink/LE apart?

maskman

Newly Enlightened
Is it possible to remove the NovaTac LE from the heatsink and lengthen the +/- wires? I've upgraded several emitters in various lights, but I have never run into such short wire leads before.

I was hoping to replace my Storm emitter with a warmer tint. I found that the emitter is centered and connected by pcb material. The pcb is securely fastened in a bed of epoxy. The two holes on the face of the heatsink are also full of epoxy. I assume the two holes contain screws to secure the LE to the heatsink.

I believe I can remove all the epoxy, but is it feasible to remove the LE from the heatsink and splice onto the +/- to lengthen them? I'm guessing the answer is no. The photos of NT emitter upgrades I've seen always show a jumper between the +/-wires and the emitter. The wire leads I presently have to work with appear to be 1mm, possibly slightly longer. Not being a surgeon, I doubt I could get a good ungrounded connection. Does anyone have prior experience with my question or other innovative ideas? Thanks ahead of time!

NovaTac Storm OEM
29g070i.jpg

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cant see a connection between the emitter legs and the terminals?

The pill is anodized so it will not conduct electricity, if you have steady hands you might be able to leave that pcb in there put your new emitter in and lengthen your terminals

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting that's a new heatsink design compared to the old ones. Looks like it's made to be easier to later change emitters to star mounts.

maskman

Newly Enlightened
Yes, leaving the pcb in there is part of my first plan. I'm wanting to cut the emitter legs close to the emitter. Then replace the emitter and solder old and new legs together. If that doesn't work I see I could use your suggestion as plan b, thank you. I'll save plan c for the worst case scenerio. Plan c would be lengthening the wires.

I cant see a connection between the emitter legs and the terminals?

The pill is anodized so it will not conduct electricity, if you have steady hands you might be able to leave that pcb in there put your new emitter in and lengthen your terminals