light to keep in car?

pm91

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to have a powerful light to keep in the car, preferable 2x123, powerful, reliable, and inexpensive (< $40) so in case it gets stolen, etc. it won't matter. Also, something that doesn't have parasitic losses so that it keeps a charge for awhile.

Thanks for your suggestions.
p

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at the Itp SC2 Eluma on shiningbeam.com, R2 led, good quality manufacturer, 2 cr123's and accepts rcr123's, all for under $40 :thumbsup:

If youre willing to pay a little bit more then i'd take a good long look at the new Eagletac p20c2 MKII, it uses a new xp-g led and puts out 330 OTF lumens on start up, dropping to 300 OTF after a couple of minutes runtime. I think that is currently by far the brightest 2xCR123 light on the market.

Last edited:

shortstack

Enlightened
i have a 3d maglite in mine right now, but something to tail stand, multiple modes, and strobe???? that what i would think at least

pm91

Newly Enlightened
You're right, I think strobe and maybe tail stand would be advantageous. I don't know what a 3d maglight is, but I was thinking an LED with at least 150 lumens.

Quinn_Inuit

Newly Enlightened
I just keep a 2L TwinTask in the car. It almost never gets used, so I'm not worried about the bulb, and in LED mode I don't need to worry about the batteries running out. I also keep a Forever flashlight in the car, because, well, I worry anyway. :) It's not very nice, but it's a good maintenance-free backup.

pm91

Newly Enlightened
RFUK, the ITP you mentioned looks pretty good for the intended purpose. It's at the top of the list. Thanks!

recDNA

Flashaholic
It's expensive but I keep the tk40 in my car. The car is worth more than the flashlight. I don't want lithium batteries in extreme heat and cold of the car. Tk40 lights up anything. Good for showing off to non-flashaholics too!

funkymonkey1111

Enlightened
if you want a light for working under the hood during a break down or changing a tire, get a headlamp--they are superior in every possible way to a handheld in this environment.

if you want a light general flashlight use, then proceed with the handheld of your choice. really, consider both.

pm91

Newly Enlightened
I didn't know lithium batteries weren't safe to keep in extreme heat/cold. Well, that complicate matters. a tk40...kind of expensive for a car light for me.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd hope your car is worth more then your flashlight (but thinking that's not what you meant). As to lithium batts in the vehicle, that's exactly what I want, and exactly what I have.

I keep a SF G3 w/ a Malkoff M60LF and a SF G2 (yellow, of course) w/ a Malkoff M60LL in my vehicle @ all times. I, of course always have a 2 or 3 D cell MagLED (or 2, or 3) also. I just make sure to change out the batts often, or keep them separate.

My .02 FWIW YMMV

pm91

Newly Enlightened
Maybe changing a tire. Don't think I'd be able to fix anything under the hood anymore. I was thinking something to direct/keep traffic away from me and the car. I've seen a few cars that have died with no lights/flashers working etc - totally dark on poorly lit roads. I've keep a couple of chemical lights in the car, but I thought that maybe wasn't enough.

pm91

Newly Enlightened
Now I'm confused are lithium batteries safe to keep in a car with extreme heat/cold temps or not?

joe1512

Enlightened
Lithium batteires are nice because they are the ONLY batteries that work well in extreme cold.

But here is probably the most authoritative answer:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

Ya know what I'd do? An itp A1 EOS Stainless Steel puts out 203 lumens on high with 1CR123. If you used a 3.7-4.2V RCR123/16340 battery, you would get a bit more output even.

You could put this on your keychain and would have it anywhere. You wouldnt have to worry about extreme heat/cold, nor having it stolen in the car.
The little dude is TINY, and for 33 bucks you've got a pretty powerful light. My little A3 80 lumen lights up the backyard pretty well in comparison.
The light is under 2.5 inches long and less than 1 inch in diameter.

richardh

Newly Enlightened
Now I'm confused are lithium batteries safe to keep in a car with extreme heat/cold temps or not?

Lithium batteries (non-rechargeable) CAN withstand extreme temperatures. It's the rechargeable lithium-ions that may not survive extreme temperatures.

You can also use the Energizer L91 lithium batteries in AA and AAA lights and they should survive temperature changes in your car.

funkymonkey1111

Enlightened
Maybe changing a tire. Don't think I'd be able to fix anything under the hood anymore. I was thinking something to direct/keep traffic away from me and the car. I've seen a few cars that have died with no lights/flashers working etc - totally dark on poorly lit roads. I've keep a couple of chemical lights in the car, but I thought that maybe wasn't enough.

well, at least consider the utility of the headlamp. it puts the light where you want it, hands free. changing a tire is a two handed job, unless you want to hold the light in your mouth.

jtrucktools34

Newly Enlightened
I should probably do more reading on the issues with extreme temps and lithium batteries of any kind since while driving down the road last week I was able to count 17 lights either on my person or somewhere in my car!! :eek: One of which is my newly acquired SR90.

I have been under the impression that either extreme cold or heat could be a problem! I think the cold can shorten the life of the battery but the heat could make it go :poof:! It is quite cold here this time of the year so I am not too worried but I usually go down to a couple of lights in the summer. Some alkaline in the console and I put my Streamlight Nightfighter 2 under the front seat, ((Passenger Side)) just in case. It seems to stay cooler under the seat than clipped to the visor which is where it rides in the winter.

vali

Enlightened

Then you probably need a reflective vest.