PT Surge on the way. Anything I need to know about

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
I should be receiving my PT Surge on Wednesday and was wondering if there is anything I need to know about this light. I think I have read about bulb problems melting the reflector or something to that effect. Let me know what I hould be looking for. Is the build quality of this light good enought to last a long time? Thanks for any input you may have.

Thanks

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
You probably have the latest version. There was as issue with poor solder at one point, I think it has been fixed.

I love mine, it will absolutely blow away any 2- 123 cell light, and run neck and neck with a 3 -123. Longer run time, neat light.

I added some large O-rings (Lowes) on the body to improve feel, and retention.

To test it, find someone you don't like very much, and have them stare into the front, then turn it on..........

tattoou2

Enlightened
For the money, it's a great light! The more recent production runs have taken care of the 'melting' problem. Build quality is good, and it feels quite substantial. Enjoy it; it will last many years.

AZMAN

Newly Enlightened
And if it doesn't last many years send it back.....it comes with a lifetime warranty!!

lhz

Newly Enlightened
I've done a night dive with a friend who used the Surge. Fantastic light!! Extremely bright and good value for the money.

turbodog

Flashaholic
watch for heat buildup. mine melted the bulb socket/circuit board traces/switch/reflector. i was so disgusted i threw the whole thing away (kept the 2 spare bulbs i had... anyone wanna buy a bulbs or two).

Shadows

Newly Enlightened
turbodog when was that?
i've been quite pleased with mine, a new version one.
really bright, cheap to run and and cheap to buy...
and feels pretty solid and well built.

paulr

Flashaholic
They seem to have solved the melting problem but be careful diving with the Surge. It has only a single O ring and there have been quite a few reports of it flooding. It sounds like a good above-water light but not a dive light. For diving you're probably better off with a UKE or Tek-Tite light with two O rings.

lhz

Newly Enlightened
Actually, single o-ring is good. Only one point of failure (through the bezel, since the end is sealed)

As for flooding, it depends on proper preventive maintenance and use (lubricating the o-ring with silicon grease, but not excessively, having the light passed to you after you jump off the boat, rather than splashing into the water surface with it, to avoid shock to the light, etc etc etc)
I've seen camera housings and other lights (including UK) fail because the users failed to exercise the proper care that is reguired of dive gear.

I guess my friend never faced the melting problem because the light is only used underwater, for maybe 2 hours every month.

I use an SL4 myself, with a Q40 as backup(for getting me back to the surface).

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
Well I just received my surges here at work and had a few questions. Is the switch suppose to be pretty hard to turn on? Is the 3 position switch Lock out-off-on? Just in my office I turned it on and shined it on the wall and it is bright. I took out my E2E-HA and did the same and it wasn't no where as bright but the the batteries probably need replacing. Thanks again.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your switch is difficult to activate, go to the small nubs of plastic on each side of the switch and remove a little bit of the plastic.

shrap

Enlightened
My switch seems to be:

off - momentary - on

with the momentary requiring very little pressure to turn it off and on. If I nudge it to the right, not over the nub, it will turn on.

I don't know about the difficult switch. Mine has been fine. Have you tried loosening the screw that holds the screw to the light?

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: PT Surge on the way. Anything I need to know a

Double O ring lights generally still have sealed tail ends. Both O rings are on the bezel. Water has to get past BOTH of them to flood the light. The difference between the dive and non-dive version of the Tek-tite lights seems to be two vs. one O ring.

lhz

Newly Enlightened
Re: PT Surge on the way. Anything I need to know a

Hmm..I've got to find an opportunity to check out the teklites and see for myself.

My SL4 and Q40 both use single O-rings, ditto for my underwater camera(one single gasket that seals the cover of the housing) and the valve(single o-ring) on the aluminium airtanks I use.

Of course, if a light is badly manufactured no number of o-rings is going to help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

lhz

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Aragorn said:
oh dont worry - the switches will break soon and you wont need to use that junker any more.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you make this statement based on......? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

a. personal experience b. feedback from others

c. personal opinion d. others (please specify)

If it really is a POS like you said I've got to tell my friend to stop using it at night in 25 metre deep water.

Oh, and what do you think of the Super Sabrelight Submersible?

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
Well after playing with the surge last night and comparing it to my 6P, this light is bright. I put new SF batteries into the 6P and the surge blows it away. Well anyway I have one in my car and one on my nightstand. Thanks for all your help.