Quark AA2 R5 has arrived!!!

RoBeacon

Enlightened
About 2 weeks ago my Quark AA2 R5 finally arrived after being on back order. This light is amazing to say the least. The brightest light I owned before this was a 160 lumen Dorcy. When I bought the Quark I didn't think it would be much bright since it was only a little over 40 lumens brighter. Boy was I wrong. The Dorcy has a good throw but it will only light up about an 8x8 ft. spot from 75 yards. The Quark illuminates about 5 times this from this distance. With a good amount of distance left to go. I threw some Eneloops in this thing and it seems like it got even brighter compared to the Duracells it came with. My only Concern is that it will get a little warm after about 15 min. on Max. I'm a little worried that this may degrade my eneloops if I do my own runtime tests. Is there anything to worry about?

Burgess

Flashaholic
Didn't you just ask this question YESTERDAY ? ? ?

:p

Don't worry about it !

Relax, and enjoy yer' new Quark flashlight !

:cool:
_

amigafan2003

Enlightened
It's not going to get hot enough to damage the LED when run on nimh's.

If you're worried, put the head in a glass of water whilst you conduct the run time tests.

bfksc

Newly Enlightened
About 2 weeks ago my Quark AA2 R5 finally arrived after being on back order. This light is amazing to say the least. The brightest light I owned before this was a 160 lumen Dorcy. When I bought the Quark I didn't think it would be much bright since it was only a little over 40 lumens brighter. Boy was I wrong. The Dorcy has a good throw but it will only light up about an 8x8 ft. spot from 75 yards. The Quark illuminates about 5 times this from this distance. With a good amount of distance left to go.
I told you it was a good light!
:)
The little quark has replaced every light I own as it works better than all of them with the exception of tight hotspot throw compared to a MagLED 3D, but not by much and the hotspot is better with a LOT more spill.
I threw some Eneloops in this thing and it seems like it got even brighter compared to the Duracells it came with. My only Concern is that it will get a little warm after about 15 min. on Max. I'm a little worried that this may degrade my eneloops if I do my own runtime tests. Is there anything to worry about?
Don't worry about it.
:thumbsup:
The aluminum head/tube is designed to sink the heat away from the LED. If it's not warm, then it's not sucking away the heat as it should. 4Sevens told me the light can run continuously at full output without issues. I've only done it once to check runtime at full brightness of 206 lumens and as a "burn in" test to make sure it's reliable and can do what I need when I need it.

Something I really like is how the brightness drops to 109 lumens when the rechargeable cells get low to indicate that you need to change cells soon. It then drops to 85 lumens very soon after and probably down to 22 shortly after that, but I never let it get that low as the cells need to be changed out at that point. The cells are sitting at about 0.9v each which is considered a fully depleted NiMH cell, so they need to be removed and recharged. If you run a single AA cell in an AA tube on the same head, it will start to drop at around the same per cell voltage to indicate it's time to change, which is perfect for Eneloop/Duraloop cells. I'm very happy with how the Quark handles depleted NiMH cells. With protected Li-Ion rechargeables the light will drop brightness briefly, but when it decides to shut down at ~3.0v, the light instantly goes dead - not good. With the NiMH cells you get some runtime at Med and Low for a while, long enough to find and replace the cells. Excellent.
:twothumbs

LeifUK

Enlightened
I run mine continuously from full to empty twice a week. Yes it can get quite warm but not uncomfortably so. I like the fact that once most of the battery energy has been used, the brightness drops gradually over a period of a few minutes. So you have time to prepare for darkness. I also like the incredibly smooth floody beam, which even has good reach. 4Sevens rate lights with out the front lumens. The Fenix L2D is rated at 180 lumens, but tests suggest 140 is closer to the true output. Oh yes, and the well made broad threads on the tail cap are worth having. I am not convinced those on my Fenix L2D will survive regular use. Did you have to pay VAT and the £8 Royal Mail scam tax?

RoBeacon

Enlightened
Yes I did ask the temp question a few days ago but I posted it in the totally wrong forum and felt like an arse. So I sort of re-posted it in the right place. I just noticed that the light will slowly dim when the batteries are going. That was a great feature to my surprise. I thought all regulated lights just died when the batts dropped voltage. Did I order one of the first Quark AA2 R5's to hit the market?

Burgess

Flashaholic
Nope ! ! !

I received one (in Titanium) on October 30th, 2009.

Hope you like YOURS as much as i like MINE !

:wave:

PS: no need to ever feel like an arse. We ALL make misteaks !

:)
_