Glock 19 Light

Trident1

Newly Enlightened
I'm real new to cpf - driving my wife nuts on a new 'hobby', but the knowledge here is great. 8 new lights and growing because of you folks:thumbsup:

I did a search on weapons lights and a lot of what I saw was dated. Weapon forums aren't always 'enlightened'. Given the new LED tech out there, any good recomdations for a very lightweight rail light or even light/laser for a Glock 19?? It's been a good sidearm for me, but time is right to add a light. Laser not that necessary - haved used many (it it's lit, it's gonna be hit), but if there's a good package it would be ok. Figure posting this will save me lots of research!

Databyter

Enlightened
I'm real new to cpf - driving my wife nuts on a new 'hobby', but the knowledge here is great. 8 new lights and growing because of you folks:thumbsup:

I did a search on weapons lights and a lot of what I saw was dated. Weapon forums aren't always 'enlightened'. Given the new LED tech out there, any good recomdations for a very lightweight rail light or even light/laser for a Glock 19?? It's been a good sidearm for me, but time is right to add a light. Laser not that necessary - haved used many (it it's lit, it's gonna be hit), but if there's a good package it would be ok. Figure posting this will save me lots of research!
:welcome:

If you do decide to get a laser for your 19 get this one if you can afford it,

http://www.lasermax.com/product.php?id=1

It's the absolute best solution, it goes inside your gun so it doesn't get in the way.

The switch is also inside your weapon.

This takes about 3-4 minutes to install and will last you forever.

Basically you field strip your Glock and replace two components with the Lasermax Components.

It's a great product used by many S.W.A.T. N.A.T.O. Military and Alphabet agenices. Great reviews and approved by most law enforcement and military units.

I posted the manufacturer link but you can find em alot cheaper if you look around (make sure to get the sku that fits your gun).

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

hk dave

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest something like a Steamlight TLR-1 with C4 LED technology. It does just fine while at much less cost then the surefire.

Instead use the money you saved and get tritium night sights...

Try aiming your gun in the dark... even with a flashlight lighting your path...

Would work much better with night sights.

Better yet... get green tritium in the rear and orange night sights in the front... easier target acquisition.

hk dave

Newly Enlightened
If you would like to keep the light and laser separate or buy one now and the other later this is the setup I have on my 17,19 and 26.

Crimson Trace laser grips
http://www.tacticalsupply.com/product/373/64_69/CRIMSONTRACE-glock-619-LASERGRIP-OVERMOLD.php

On the front end I use the Insight M3X.

http://www.tacticalsupply.com/product/3048/1_218_221/insight-m3x-tactical-illuminator.php

I agree... if you're going to put a laser on your gun... get a crimson... no disrespect to anyone posting about lasermax spring replacements(scary to me)... but i PERSONALLY think the crimson is smarter for many reasons.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree... if you're going to put a laser on your gun... get a crimson... no disrespect to anyone posting about lasermax spring replacements(scary to me)... but i PERSONALLY think the crimson is smarter for many reasons.

I like the Crimson Trace comes on when you grasp the gun also I to like to keep the factory spring in, I have heard of little to no failure of the lasermax but to me I feel better keeping the glock spring in as well.

I also agree about the trit night sights like Meprolight or Trijicon. I should have clarified on my EDC G26 and 19 I like the Crimson Tace laser grips with the Meprolight night sight and I have my own hand held light source.

At home I keep a G17 with the Insight M3X with Meprolight sights and Crimson Trace laser grips.

Trident1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick responses guys. That 'in house' laser is pretty neat - will look more into that. Still want wide lumens out front - the Streamlights seem to offer good stuff for good price- dated??. Figured I really had my weapons needs set until this CPF stuff - now I want the best in both hands :devil:.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Figured I really had my weapons needs set until this CPF stuff - now I want the best in both hands :devil:.

Me and you both and all mentioned above are all great weapon lights in the end it comes down to personal choice and of course available funds.

IMO get the night sights first especially if you already EDC a light and keep one nearby at night.

Trident1

Newly Enlightened
Just read those others. I do have trit sights - agree 100% there. Wary about internal mods too. This is a primary 'home' gun - like to keep it practiced, clean and ready.

hk dave

Newly Enlightened
The newest version of the Streamlight TLR-1s pushes 160 lumens... thats not so bad. :)

orchid_guy

Newly Enlightened
I have a surefire X300 mounted on a taurus .45. It's a bit much, but I can always mount it on a different firearms. A friend has a TLR2 mounted on Glock

Streamlight's TLR-1 or TLR-2 are excellent choices as well as the surefire X300 or X400.

Just so you know:

X300 & TLR-1: Light only.
X400 & TLR-2: Light & laser.

The surefire's cost $249 for the X300 & $460 for the X400.
The streamlight's cost half as much (from optics planet) TLR1 is $102.95 & $225.99 for the TLR2.

Both products will perform the same function, although in slightly different ways. The surefire X300 beam is a medium focused spot with a nice side spill that will throw quite a long distance ( I don't have exact lengths).

The streamlight TLR2 beam is not focused. It will light up the desired target and everything on the ground in the path between you and your target.

The biggest decisions are how much money do you want to spend and do you want a laser(and do you want it attached to the light or inside the pistol)?

Let us know what you decide.

Databyter

Enlightened
Please elaborate because I'm actually buying a new pistol and I was going to outfit it with a lasermax.

The recoil spring is to aftermarket specs and is identical to the performance of your stock spring, not only that but it's been tested for years, and will not void your warranty.

If there is something I'm missing please edify me before I plunk down $250.

The reason I like it is,

It's in-line with the bore and close to the bore, so it will be more accurate at a wide variety of ranges, not just tuned for say 30 feet out.

Since it's inside it will fit in any holster, won't get dirty or scratched or misaligned.

Because it's in-line with the bore no adjustment is needed accuracy is stated to be +- 2" at I believe 20 yards, which is fine, but it's usually better than that.

It's at the END of your gun nothing like a finger or a glove is going to get in the way of the beam.

The switch is placed where your stock slide controller button is located, you can operate this with a press of your finger without losing sight picture.

The accuracy is forced to be kept forever by the integrity of a reamed bore.

Also I have small hands, I get guns with smaller grips when possible because of this, or with adjustable grips. I've heard the CT grips are a bit bigger, but I'm not 100% on that.

Police and military love it which is usually a great sign!

I haven't found any disadvantages except the price, which is actually cheap considering what you get, it's just alot of cash to plunk down right now.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that Police also love Crimson Trace, and I've looked at that also. Not a darn thing wrong with it. I just don't see the advantage of something on the outside where it can be banged around and misaligned. adjustments a plus though, but not needed with the Lasermax.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I havn't played with Lasemax in awhile but last I looked you had to manually activate a switch to turn it on, not something I would want to half to do in a pressure situation. The Crimson Trace come on with you grab the gun.

Maybe the Lasermax has changed the design if so I will look into them again but if its still the same I will stay with Crimson Trace. Its also just peace of mind to me knowing its a glock spring even though the Lasermax apparently has had good quality reputation with that spring.

Databyter

Enlightened
I havn't played with Lasemax in awhile but last I looked you had to manually activate a switch to turn it on, not something I would want to half to do in a pressure situation. The Crimson Trace come on with you grab the gun.

Maybe the Lasermax has changed the design if so I will look into them again but if its still the same I will stay with Crimson Trace. Its also just peace of mind to me knowing its a glock spring even though the Lasermax apparently has had good quality reputation with that spring.
This is actually a disadvantage to the Crimson Trace, although I'm sure the marketing will tell you otherwise. You do not want the laser to come on when you pick up the gun.

With the Lasermax you can turn the laser on or off from the firing position with the site picture intact, with a light push of the finger, the same thing you would do to say take off your safety.

You are in control.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has nothing to do with marketing but rather just personal choice I have seen crimson trace vs. lasermax debate in other forums 20 pages long. In a home defense or a outside the home self defense situation why wouldn't you want the laser to come on just by gripping the gun, now in a offensive situation I can see the benefit of being able to turn it off or on but you can also turn the Crimson Trace off by slightly loosening your grip.

Like I said its all personal choice besides I believe all the new Crimson Trace grips do have the ability to be turned off and on.

Trident1

Newly Enlightened
I can tell I need to ask to see some of these options where I shoot too. My gun training was competetive (joint military stuff) but home is different. $$ are fine for what's best. This won't be an edc - just in case I can't get to the bigger guns in a pinch. I don't plan to change when it's set up good. I'm just getting the idea that the process of lighting things up has become much more efficient both from the hand and from a weapon. - and harder to choose.

Databyter

Enlightened
It has nothing to do with marketing but rather just personal choice I have seen crimson trace vs. lasermax debate in other forums 20 pages long. In a home defense or a outside the home self defense situation why wouldn't you want the laser to come on just by gripping the gun, now in a offensive situation I can see the benefit of being able to turn it off or on but you can also turn the Crimson Trace off by slightly loosening your grip.

Like I said its all personal choice besides I believe all the new Crimson Trace grips do have the ability to be turned off and on.
I agree with you, and got interested enough to also read a few articles and forum debates just now.

There seems to be a long list of pro's and con's for both makes which really boil down to personal preference, type of usage, even ergodynamics (like small hands).

Looks like I'm going to do some more research, and maybe see if I can test a few units out.
For my purposes I don't shoot much and I'd be using this primaraly for training and home defence so either would be excellent choices. For home defence I can see the benefit of instant on, and have read that new placement of the CT emitter is designed to be always on but blockable by a finger until needed which is ingenious and effective.
. I like the design ingenuity of the lasermax, and the idea that it is waterproof and rugged as hell, and will allow me to use the custom grips I prefer.