looking for 2xAA light with 18650 possibility

steinstern

Newly Enlightened
are there any options beside the quark lights? i´ve heard that the 18650 quark body is not a perfect solution..

to sum it up i´m looking for an

- 2xAA light with lego-possibility for 18650 and maybe 1xAA
- xp-g led
- efficient
- very bright on max
- no clip/ removable clip
- not too big

is there such a light?!

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
maybe solarforce L2. now that they have come up with a 2AA version L2r. but only the bezel part of the 2AA version is compatible with "regular" L2s. (tailcap is different.. because of the difference in diameter)

the 18650 is specialized battery and the lego aspect is still a rarity. the quark series is your best bet i think.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
are there any options beside the quark lights? i´ve heard that the 18650 quark body is not a perfect solution..
to sum it up i´m looking for an
- 2xAA light with lego-possibility for 18650 and maybe 1xAA
- xp-g led
- efficient
- very bright on max
- no clip/ removable clip
- not too big
is there such a light?!
my first and only thought was Quark 18650
What have you heard about it? I agree it's a little trickier than an single AA to 2 AA tube. As a matter of fact I recently messed up my 18650 tube while attempting to change cells:oops:. There are 4 assembly points rather than 2.:ohgeez:
The end caps must be tight to work. I'll soon try again with my 18650 Quark RGB or TurboForce. It's a little more complicated than an 2 AA
tube, yet it's worth the effort.

steinstern

Newly Enlightened
it looks like the quark 18650 body consists of 2 parts.
couldn´t it be more simple?
it looks like it is longer than it has to be. or am i wrong?

anyway: is the the 2xAA head brigher on 18650?
how much longer will be the runtime with an 18650 AW protectet compared to two eneloos?

how effectiv is the quark aa2 on two alkaline aas? what would be the runtime on max?

(thinking about using it while traveling through laos/kambodia/myanmar an i´m not shure if i´m going to take a charger with me. 18650 is for use at home, and on my MTB)

by the way: is it more effective using a single or a double aa light when you only are able to use alkalines?

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast

anyway: is the the 2xAA head brigher on 18650?
how much longer will be the runtime with an 18650 AW protectet compared to two eneloos?

how effectiv is the quark aa2 on two alkaline aas? what would be the runtime on max?

(thinking about using it while traveling through laos/kambodia/myanmar an i´m not shure if i´m going to take a charger with me. 18650 is for use at home, and on my MTB)

by the way: is it more effective using a single or a double aa light when you only are able to use alkalines?

Think 2 AAs are better than one (power and run time)

18650 will give longer run time. recharging any place in the world is cool.
Is the current 110 or 220 volts in SE Asia? Have you considered a solar charger?

A 2 AA Quark will give you much more than a single AA.

I can't say how a 18650 cell does with a 2 AA Quark head, yet I CAN say I have a 18650 with the 2 CR123 TurboForce head. I thought that would give more power and runtime than 2 AA. The 18650 with a cool white Quark RGB head is another option I enjoy.

The 18650 assembly is not as simple as it would appear because there are three parts not one. in addition to the 18650 tube, there are 2 additional separate "screw end caps".

Last edited:

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Consider the Peak Night Patrol:

IMG0003-1-1.jpg

This Tactical body, with a simple spacer, accommodates either 1X18650, or 2XRCR/R123A, or 2XAA/14500.

And there are interchangeable bodies for various other battery combinations:

IMG0002-2.jpg

These Peaks can be had with either the XP-G or P7 emitter, with single or adjustable output, and with different heads for throw or flood.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solarforce L2M [ 18650 ] + CR123A Extension for 2xAA , use low voltage 0.8v - 4.2v pill ...

For CR123A / 18650 / 2xAA ...

I have 3 Solarforce L2's set up to run 2xAA .

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Yes, the 18650 will give some longer runtime but Quark is hardly brighter (if at all) on 18650 than 2 x AA so it's not really worth it from the brightness perspective and the 2 x AA is just so simple to deal with when one is away from home. If you can find the room to carry an 18650 tubed quark then you'll fit a 2 x AA cos they are nearly the same size.

The quarks are so very good from the "lego" perspective. With a AA head you can use any of their tubes to make pretty much any form factor. Very versatile. I've got at almost two of everything and am always changing my torch's identities.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast

It isn't longer than it has to be. It has to be that length because the head and tail don't have a big enough ID (inner diameter) to house an 18650. So, the body is designed to completely house the 18650, then attach to the head and tail.

The light was designed for use with CR123 as the maximum-width cell (16mm). It was not originally intended to be used with an 18mm-wide 18650, but the 18650 body has been offered in limited quantities to satisfy numerous requests from customers.

Regardless of the extra length, the Quark 18650 body works well for me, and I use mine frequently.

Last edited:

steinstern

Newly Enlightened
is it right, that the efficiency of the fenix ld20/l2d is (noticable) better than the efficiency of the quark aa2? especially on alkalines?

why?

steinstern

Newly Enlightened
sorry for posting in this dying thread, but really want to know how big the difference in efficiency between the ld20 an the quark aa2 is (besides the emitter)

because if the driver of the fenix would be more efficient i just would put an xp-g in it...

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Solarforce L2M [ 18650 ] + CR123A Extension for 2xAA , use low voltage 0.8v - 4.2v pill ...

For CR123A / 18650 / 2xAA ...

I have 3 Solarforce L2's set up to run 2xAA .

x2... any of the surefire 6P sized hosts can be set up for 2AA with the addition of a 1x16340 extension and some rolled up PC printer paper. If the host is bored it can fit an 18650 cell too.

Latest posts