Surefire lego questions

bdusseau

Newly Enlightened
Let me preface this by typing that I did use the search function. Maybe one of you good folks here my have had a similar issue. I am trying to lego an E1B body, E2D tailcap, and a VME head w/ a Malkoff M30 drop-in. It appears as if the drop-in is not making enough contact with the battery. I have tried fresh primaries and RCRs. This setup works with my nitecore extreme infinity head(and vice-versa-VME/M30/ NEX body), but to no avail with the M30 and VME and E1b body. I was wondering if I used a charging spacer first(read tailcap spring-spacer-123) then the 123 to shim up everything enabling better contact? Is it ill advised to use a charging spacer as a dummy battery? Or should I be looking at a different tailcap? I have seen the tiny magnet shims around, would anyone recommend this as opposed to the charging spacer? Any input would be great. Thanks in advance,
Brian

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you sure it's the battery->M30, and not the M30->E1B body that's the problem? The latter is a common issue with drop-ins.

Edit: I'd rule out everything else before trying a spacer magnet on the positive end of the battery. The chances of creating a short are VERY high, and since the light isn't turning on anyway, you might not realize there's a short until you've damaged the cell.

Last edited:

bdusseau

Newly Enlightened
The latter is a common issue with drop-ins.
I was comparing how far the 123 sticks out of the E1B body v. the NEX's body, so I just figured that it wasn't making enough contact. Should I try wrapping the M30 in foil?

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
How far the battery sticks out probably has more to do with the length of the spring in the tail.

If you remove the VME head (with M30 in it) from the E1B body, is the M30 snug in the head, or is there some play (front to back)? If there is some play, maybe the pressure from the battery is keeping the M30 from maintaining contact with the E1B body?

bdusseau

Newly Enlightened
How far the battery sticks out probably has more to do with the length of the spring in the tail.

If you remove the VME head (with M30 in it) from the E1B body, is the M30 snug in the head, or is there some play (front to back)? If there is some play, maybe the pressure from the battery is keeping the M30 from maintaining contact with the E1B body?
No play, it has the neoprene seal. Maybe it's the tailcap. All I have is the E2D one though.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
No play, it has the neoprene seal.
Hmm... Do you have a multi-meter? If you install the lower half of the VME head onto the E1B body and insert the M30 (without the upper half of the VME), is there electrical connectivity between the body of the M30 and E1B body.

Maybe it's the tailcap. All I have is the E2D one though.
It's easy enough to confirm that... remove the tail cap and use a paperclip to complete the circuit from the end of the body to the bottom of the battery.

carrot

Flashaholic
This setup works for me, so it should work for you. Perhaps the VME isn't screwed down all the way?

bdusseau

Newly Enlightened
It's easy enough to confirm that... remove the tail cap and use a paperclip to complete the circuit from the end of the body to the bottom of the battery.

I did the paper clip test and no dice.

Perhaps the VME isn't screwed down all the way?

I made sure it was torqued all the way down. Very puzzling...still no workie. The setup still works on my NEX though.

bdusseau

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps the VME isn't screwed down all the way?
Thanks for all the resposes. I was doing some more research about clips and noticed that my clip was not seated all the way down. Works like a charm now! :lovecpf: