LEO Opinions of the Jet III Military

gilly

Enlightened
Fellow LEO CPFers,

In a separate thread I was disappointed to see some other LEOs that had a poor opinion of the Jetbeam Jet III - M.

I feel compelled to defend this light. I have owned a Jet III M for 15 months now and have had zero issues with it. I have to admit it is one of my favorite and most-trusted lights. Solidly built, well protected with the two SS bezels, multiple power options and a great UI that allows max flexibility.

Selfbuilt completed one of his excellent reviews of this light in October of 2008: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/211631

Since then it has had over 59,000 views and 300+ posts!! Obviously this is not just some "run of the mill" unproven torch from China. I think we should give credit where credit is due - this light is a keeper!

Looking for LEOs (or any others who carry it for duty and put it through rough usage) who have carried this light to let us know what your experiences have been.

As far as durability goes, I feel it is SOLID. I was amazed that it survived a paint mixer as seen in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82JLxaRvAAQ

Thanks for your thoughts - be safe out there.

Last edited:

curtispdx

Enlightened
I'll bite:

I've owned the JetBeam and thought it was okay. (HATED the clip.) Ended up selling (trading?) it. Personally, the ability to swap out parts is pretty useful so that's why I came back to the 6P fold.

FWIW: I don't have anything against the Chinese lights but I haven't found one that I love... (and I'M CHINESE...you'd think I've have a little loyalty...:shakehead)

ToNIX

Enlightened
Stop tempting me with this light! I sooooooooo want it. :D

Seriously, I think I'll order it this week, I can't stop looking at it and reading everything on this light.

One question, does it come with some kind of holster? Seems not...

I'd also like to see pictures of this light in Green/Gray else than the picture on bugout... I'll have to decide which one!

Last edited:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whilst I'm definitely not an LEO I do rely on this flashlight (Jet III-M) to get the job done, I will admit there was a brief initial learning curve relative to the light's UI (and included documentation) but that never stopped it from performing as designed, I've only owned this R2 variant for the last 8~9 months but in all that time the only issue I experienced during extensive regular usage was a Li-Ion failed.

I too didn't like the clip's "operational feel" but removing it was hardly a difficult proposition, further more removal of said clip improved it's holster "compatibility"

Bottom line... only the individual will truly know what meets their personal operational requirements/preferences :thumbsup:

OfficerCamp

Enlightened
I liked the III M, never carried it, but played around with one I ordered before I returned it (I decided I didn't need another 2x123 sized light in my arsenal, a Surefire 6P and M2 is enough for me). Solid body, good threads, thick lens, and great runtime (variable output). I say it's a winner, especially for the money.
Chris

BolderDave

Newly Enlightened
Hi There,

I'm actually writing a review on a number of JetBeam models for Police Magazine. I've used the Jet IIIM for work (I'm a detective) for many months. I've dropped it, shot with it and used it on lots of scenes. I love it. It's my favorite light right now.

In fact, a number of my co-workers saw the light and wanted it. We ended up ordering 16 lights, plus batteries and Pila chargers for a bunch of detectives. Flavio at BugoutGear treated us really well. So far, so good. They all love it. A couple of our patrol officers carry it too. That said, I've had to show everyone how to correctly use the UI because most people are too lazy to read the owners manual...

Dave

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine should arrive tomorrow I have some other models and IMO Jetbeam makes the best quality lights from China. I am curious though why the other LEOs did not like it.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's my experience:

--The lens isn't fully supported by O-rings, which has caused chipping around the edges, at the SS bezel contact point. This will, eventually, cause the lens to crack.

--There's no closed-top case for it, and I haven't been able to find an appropriate alternative.

--123's are too skinny to fit the tube. There is a fix for this: Use an Olight 2 cell battery magazine (from an M20), and cut-off the small round tab that's normally used to attach a keyring, etc. This will allow the 123's to sit in the tube without rattling, or causing the following:

--With certain 18650's that have a shorter positive nipple, and 123's without the battery magazine fix, the cell(s) will bounce in the tube, and can place the light into the programmable ("Hidden menu") mode. I've had this happen a few times, and could not initially figure out what was wrong with the light. I can replicate it by shaking the light, which causes the positive contact of the battery to lose contact with the light, causing blinking, and if done three times in a row, the light will enter the menu mode. Entering menu mode can be problematic, especially at a critical time when the light is needed. This can be fixed by lengthening the tail cap spring, or making the spring from larger gauge wire.

These issues makes it unacceptable as a reliable "tactical" light, and modding it as described, makes it counter productive when there are numerous more reliable lights available.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
for the longest time i wanted a jet lll M mostly because of its design. LOL
i didnt buy it because i have other 2xcr123 lights already, and didnt want another in the same class. but i found a great excuse. i bought the warm tint version, and have been my favorite most used work light since. and since sold my olight M20. i usually favor lights that are smaller but the feel, smooth beam, and beautiful warm tint of the jet lll m is enough to make it my favorite.

that video with the paint mixer also pushed me to get it. that video was awesome. any flashlight fan should watch it, the video starts out with a block of ice and an axe!

ToNIX

Enlightened
Here's my experience:

--The lens isn't fully supported by O-rings, which has caused chipping around the edges, at the SS bezel contact point. This will, eventually, cause the lens to crack.

--There's no closed-top case for it, and I haven't been able to find an appropriate alternative.

--123's are too skinny to fit the tube. There is a fix for this: Use an Olight 2 cell battery magazine (from an M20), and cut-off the small round tab that's normally used to attach a keyring, etc. This will allow the 123's to sit in the tube without rattling, or causing the following:

--With certain 18650's that have a shorter positive nipple, and 123's without the battery magazine fix, the cell(s) will bounce in the tube, and can place the light into the programmable ("Hidden menu") mode. I've had this happen a few times, and could not initially figure out what was wrong with the light. I can replicate it by shaking the light, which causes the positive contact of the battery to lose contact with the light, causing blinking, and if done three times in a row, the light will enter the menu mode. Entering menu mode can be problematic, especially at a critical time when the light is needed. This can be fixed by lengthening the tail cap spring, or making the spring from larger gauge wire.

These issues makes it unacceptable as a reliable "tactical" light, and modding it as described, makes it counter productive when there are numerous more reliable lights available.

I keep hearing good things about this light... and I'm about to order it! Now you got me thinking a bit more...

gmf2010

Newly Enlightened
I'd also like to see pictures of this light in Green/Gray else than the picture on bugout... I'll have to decide which one!

Just snapped this. This is what the gray Jet III-M looks like under an incandescent light. It does take on a green-ish tinge depending on the color temp of the light it's under.

jetiiim.jpg

As for a holster, the Maxpedition 5" flashlight tube sheath is a perfect fit. If you're worried about the clip snagging when removing the light from the sheath, you'll want to remove it, but it does fit with the clip attached.

Brigadier

Enlightened
FWIW, here is a pic of my OD green one. My kids say that I stole the light from Worf. lol.

standard.jpg

gilly

Enlightened
Phenomenal photos, gentlemen!

Dano - some very astute observations. I personally have experienced none of them while using the light in a duty capacity and running it on AW 18650s. I use the older 2200 mah models but actually have one newer 2600 flat top cell that works great in my III-M. Can you specify which brand 18650s caused the problems so we can avoid having this happen? I tried Surefire, Titanium and Panasonic primary 123s and tried shaking the light to activate the menu mode to no avail. Do you recall which 123s this happened with?

Anyone had a lens crack yet? I have noticed the SS bezel is in direct contact with the lens although it hasn't caused any problems for me....yet.

Thanks for your info.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received mine today and same as my Jet-2 the OD finish is my favorite of any light I own. It came with a OP reflector even though the specs said it would come with a smooth one. IIRC I think I remember something about the OD finish comes with OP reflector only but maybe I am mistaking.

The threads and o-rings was bone dry surprising for Jetbeam but I am fine with that it makes the first cleaning much easier. What was not so good was the smudge under the lens that actually made a dark spot in the beam on the white wall, I hate cleaning lenses because I want them perfectly clean and spend way to much time on it but I got it done.

The light with the OP reflector is near flawless with no rings there is just a hot spot with nice bright even spill.

I am thinking of taking the clip off and if I read right the best way to do this is use paracord under the clip and pull up towards the front of the body, is this correct?

Almost forgot I get no rattle when using CR123 so I don't need to use a battery sleeve, I tried shaking it as hard as I could but was never able to put it into program mode.

Last edited:

gmf2010

Newly Enlightened
Is the additional switch boot that it comes with GITD?

Nope, standard black.

I, too, was under the impression that the new AW 18650 2600 batteries would not work in the Jet III-M. The posts I read mentioned using a small blob of solder to facilitate contact. Does anyone else use AW 18650 2600s without a problem?

Last edited:

Latest posts