3-21 Update Home Made Pseudo Integrating Sphere - photos and readings!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
6-27 Update Home Made Pseudo Integrating Sphere - photos and readings!

**UPDATED CHART - NEW READINGS**

Sometimes you just have to see for yourself, you know? Before you read this, please understand this disclaimer – I make no claims that the readings from the home made, uber cheap 'pseudo integrating sphere' are accurate! This was put together for my own edification and to satisfy curiosity, but it worked pretty well so I thought I'd share the results.

Paid $130 for the meter - $40 for the smooth foam ball (shipped), about $4 for the PVC pipe and $6 for a roll of black duct tape (which I still have most of). So for a total expenditure of about $180 I have a handy dandy 'poor man's' integrating sphere.

Test measurements are at the end of the post, but I thought I'd show you the construction. Inspiration came from a great thread over here, so I take NO credit for the idea of how to construct this – precisionworks and others provided the inspiration and the ideas.

Most of the photos are labeled.

IMG_2772.JPG

IMG_2773.JPG

IMG_2774.JPG

IMG_2776.JPG

IMG_2777.JPG

IMG_2778.JPG

IMG_2781.JPG

IMG_2782.JPG

IMG_2779.JPG

IMG_2780.JPG

IMG_2783.JPG

IMG_2786.JPG

IMG_2787.JPG

IMG_2788.JPG

IMG_2789.JPG

IMG_2790.JPG

IMG_2793.JPG

IMG_2796.JPG

IMG_2797.JPG

And here are the measurements. Pretty darn close – again, I make no claims for accuracy – this was just a fun project for me. Just fyi, the lux rating is what my meter shows – I divided each reading by 36 to estimate the lumens rating. I read that somewhere in the forum, although I can't remember where.
0001U5.jpg

This is the Spy 007 before (left side) and after (right side) DaFABRICATA XPG Neutral emitter swap
0001IN.jpg

And here's my newest chart including some oldies and a few new lights. As my collection evolves, I try to keep this updated.
new%20lux%20readings.jpg

Hope this is of use or interest to someone!

Please PM or post if you have any questions...

lovecpf

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Re: Home Made Pseudo Integrating Sphere - photos and readings!

Great work! interesting to see how the LS27 did... I would be curious to see how an LS20 would do in the same sphere. :clap:

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great idea :twothumbs. Wish I had such a luxmeter.

rayman

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Nice job. Nothing better than a do it yourselfer.

Geoff

kramer5150

Flashaholic

Nice work!!!

Love how you guys are keeping the manufacturers honest, its like putting them on a polygraph.

An oversized one size fits all opening for the light inlet won't work though. It will throw off your conversion factor when measuring lights of differing bezel diameters. In bigchelis' sphere we trace the light bezel onto white paper and cut a hole out so it fits snug around the light. The paper gets lightly taped over the light inlet on the sphere, so its a snug fit.

BC and MrG can elaborate on the technical aspects better than I can.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice work!!!

Love how you guys are keeping the manufacturers honest, its like putting them on a polygraph.

An oversized one size fits all opening for the light inlet won't work though. It will throw off your conversion factor when measuring lights of differing bezel diameters. In bigchelis' sphere we trace the light bezel onto white paper and cut a hole out so it fits snug around the light. The paper gets lightly taped over the light inlet on the sphere, so its a snug fit.

BC and MrG can elaborate on the technical aspects better than I can.

:thumbsup:

Thanks! I read a lot of MrGman's writings within the post I mentioned, originated by precisionworks back in 2008. As mentioned in the thread, there's no way this sphere can be deemed as 'accurate' - BUT, it would be fairly easy to do as you say and snug up the fit for each light.

I briefly considered using a 3 inch inlet instead of a 2 inch so large bezel lights would fit, but decided against it because I have only 1 such light (a Jetbeam M1X) and I feared that there would be too much 'leakage' with all the other lights I own.

Thanks for the tip!

Dan

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great work! interesting to see how the LS27 did... I would be curious to see how an LS20 would do in the same sphere. :clap:

Thanks! Of course, my LS20 went away...:mecry:but I'm not going to suggest anyone send one of those!

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast

do you have any UV lights to test?
from my experience, the extech meters do not have a photopic curve response filter, the ea31 datasheet makes no mention of one either.

sfca

Enlightened

Is that Milky E1B the same as an E2DL creemator? Readings, please!:huh:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is that Milky E1B the same as an E2DL creemator? Readings, please!:huh:

Not quite - and the readings are there. It's kind of confusing - you have to look on the next line because it is listed as "Milky ME1B Creemator/McGizmo 2x123 McClicky" - the reading is beside the line showing McGizmo 2x123 McClicky. To save you a bit of time, the E2DL read 215 lumens on high and the ME1B read 248...

I found this particularly interesting since my E2DL is one of the OLDER ones before they 'updated' the rating to 200. So 2 things are certain - Surefire is very conservative with their ratings, and Milky can indeed 'milk' the max from an emitter! Hope that helps -

Dan

sfca

Enlightened

the E2DL read 215 lumens on high and the ME1B read 248...

Ah! I see.

It's nice to see more figures from the mod, I saw the beamshots here vs. a standard E2DL (second row on left) and I wanted that!!

When I had my E2DL before I didn't like the fact it was a concentrated circle in the darkness, but with that milky mod it'd look alright.
Slightly bigger hotspot, more lumens, higher lux.

It looks like it's burning a hole in the ground :laughing: LOL!!

P.S. It's kinda odd to see the Nailbender making 300+ lumens (I see that was a /36 calculation) but so much more lux. The lumen number here is less then the >500 numbers elsewhere;
However the lux numbers are closer here [11,500 lux] then I saw in Bigchelis P60 thread. That was only 4,200 lux. Compared with an E2DL (~8,500 lux), Quark Turbo (>E2DL) the SST-50 definitely has more lux.

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ah! I see.

It's nice to see more figures from the mod, I saw the beamshots here vs. a standard E2DL (second row on left) and I wanted that!!

When I had my E2DL before I didn't like the fact it was a concentrated circle in the darkness, but with that milky mod it'd look alright.
Slightly bigger hotspot, more lumens, higher lux.

It looks like it's burning a hole in the ground :laughing: LOL!!

P.S. It's kinda odd to see the Nailbender making 300+ lumens (I see that was a /36 calculation) but so much more lux. The lumen number here is less then the >500 numbers elsewhere;
However the lux numbers are closer here [11,500 lux] then I saw in Bigchelis P60 thread. That was only 4,200 lux. Compared with an E2DL (~8,500 lux), Quark Turbo (>E2DL) the SST-50 definitely has more lux.

Yes - on the Nailbender, I have feeling it is the massive flood the light puts out. I took all the steps I could think of to tame any of those beasts, but still, it is a bright monster!

As for the Milky, as you probably know, Scott sets them up so you can focus the spot - you can have more spill or go to the max throw. I usually keep mine on a 'blend...'

Anyway, it's all fun and I appreciate all the comments! The construction of the IS was such that mods can easily be made.

Thank you!

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast

No sir - no UV lights...:eek:

ah, oh well. It should still be reasonably accurate as long as you're not testing incandescent lights also! :twothumbs

sfca

Enlightened

As for the Milky, as you probably know, Scott sets them up so you can focus the spot - you can have more spill or go to the max throw. I usually keep mine on a 'blend...'

Can I ask hows yours compared to the beamshot link. How would you say that Creemator shot is set up as?

kramer5150

Flashaholic

ah, oh well. It should still be reasonably accurate as long as you're not testing incandescent lights also! :twothumbs

Curious.... are foot candle meters even capable of (accurately) measuring wavelengths to the far extremes of the visible spectrum? I know (for example) that red colors are hard for many to detect.

???

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can I ask hows yours compared to the beamshot link. How would you say that Creemator shot is set up as?

It looks like it is set for spot - but it depends on the camera. What I mean is that the 'flood' from the Creemator (at least on mine) is a definite 'step' - or a definite defined transition from spot to flood. If the camera were set up to reduce the exposure it might make it hard to see the spill. BUT, my guess is that it is set for max throw/spot. I know that with mine, when I focus it for max throw it's like an LX2/E2DL on steroids.

Curious.... are foot candle meters even capable of (accurately) measuring wavelengths to the far extremes of the visible spectrum? I know (for example) that red colors are hard for many to detect.

???
Oh, man - you are way over my head technically. While I understand what you are talking about, I have no clue of the range of the light spectrum that light meters such as mine can detect. Sorry!