Low Key "Flashaholic" looking for a glove box light.

jrmcferren

Enlightened
Here are my requirements compiled from the checklist:

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?
USA or USA online retailer

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
$10 tops, hopefully only to be "used" for testing the bulb/battery

2) Format:

Flashlight Preferred

3) Length:

No longer than a Mini-Mag

4) Width:

Not that big of an issue

5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.
Disposable, Alkaline, or Lithium AA/AAA

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

15 Lumens would be enough

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)----------------------X----------------------Flood/close-up

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

3 Hours to 50%, If I would need anything longer I would either be able to use my L2T or the map lights.

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

Glove Box light, but not something too pricey, something that will hold up to being dropped. If it only lasts being used in one roadside emergency, that's fine. I'm looking at Life Lights to give an idea.

8) Switch Type:

No Momentary switches please

9) Switch Location:

Anything as long as I can turn it on and sit on the road while changing a tire, etc.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

_X__A simple on-off is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a strobe mode. (blinks to show location.)
____I want a tactical strobe. (Flashes rapidly to disorient an opponent.)

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

Plastic

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

Disposable light is being considered, likely to be tested more than used.

Gazerbeam

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix E01 would be a great glove box light it meets most of your criteria. Cost $15, rated at 10 lumens for about 11 hours and is as tough as nails. The output is more than enough to change a tire and you can hold it in your mouth while messing with them lug nuts.

Natedog100

Newly Enlightened
How about the Gerber Firecracker that is being talked about in the deals section of CPF marketplace? It is one sale for $6.99 and satisfies all of your requirements.

opps, the firecracker is metal...

Last edited:

Natedog100

Newly Enlightened
Natedog100, don't worry about it being metal, I simply put plastic on there to indicate my low expectations.

Good! If I were you I would order the Firecracker then. I saw it posted this morning and ordered 3 of them after reading the reviews (lowest price per unit after shipping, remember to use the promo code too). I plan to give two of them away as gifts and keep the third for myself. :party:

jrmcferren

Enlightened
I was thinking either do that, or toss my Eveready 108 (American Dolphin) in the hatch area of the minivan. I seem to forget that I have AAA since I drive infrequently right now, I would only need it for signaling/emergency light while waiting for service, etc.

corvettesR1

Enlightened
Hello there.May I suggest one of the lights from ITP. They are really a light you cant TRUST to work when needed.

Here is a model that runs one a single common AA. Running a lithium would gift you tons of shelf life/ when left in the car..This light also has a wonderful,totally variable output level.

Keep in mind that a light with low output settings can be very useful as well.
Have a look .http://www.knivesshipfree.com/iTP-C...light-CREE-7090-XR-E-Q5-190-Lumens-AA-Battery

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you can put it together for $10 or less but I have a light that is in both my cars that meets your criteria.The Energizer 2AA incandescent Industrial flashlight + Dorcy's 1watt LED module.The light can be had for $5(Home Depot used to carry them) or less and uses a standard PR base bulb.Dorcy lists their LED module at $12 but it is out of stock currently.Another PR base LED module would probably work but I like the Dorcy,it will work on as little as 1.5V.The Energizer light is nothing special but it is better quality than similar/comparably priced 2AA lights and the switch is large enough to use with gloves on.Other 2AA incan lights may work as well, but you need to make sure they use a PR base bulb.Some 2AA incans use a smaller bi-pin bulb.

paulr

Flashaholic
Frankly I'd go for a cheap headlamp since if you have to work on the car, a hands-free light is indispensible. If you get a conventional flashlight instead, there are some accessory headstraps that are good additions. Or if you keep a baseball cap in the car, lots of small lights with pocket clips can clip onto the hat brim for handsfree use.

Advil

Newly Enlightened
i have an e01 that i got for no real reason at all. is it safe to leave in the car? it gets really hot here in texas so i'm worried about the battery (eneloop) leaking or the light itself getting destroyed

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep an eye out on Lowes and Home Depot. I bought a new Rebel model Mini Mag for $10 when they ran their last special. This is a great light at that price.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
+1 to whomever suggested that alkaline cells aren't good for car glovebox lights - a friend of mine had 2 AA alkalines in a light in his glovebox, a few hot days later, leaking cells. :sick2:

The car glovebox is a good place for lithium cells IMO, either Energizer L91/L92's for AA/AAA or the CR123's. I seldom use that light anyway, it's more of a reserve after my EDC's.

Latest posts