28" of snow, 20 hrs. without power: some observations.

scout24

Flashaholic
Biggest storm in quite a while hit us here in the lower Hudson Valley, NY. this past Thursday and Friday. There are still probably 50,000 without power, we were lucky here at casa Scout. There were people stranded on a 40- mile stretch of I-84 from 6PM on Thursday well into Friday, which highlights yet again the need for a car based kit with food, water and warmth, as well as keeping your gas tank topped off. State troopers on snowmobiles eventually got out to check on people, but by all accounts, it was a cluster.... Self sufficiency is key.
Keeping four teenagers from going stir crazy was the single biggest surprise, they rallied without the internet and video games and actually spoke with each other and got along, three of them camping in the living room on Thursday night. Okay, on to the observations:

* Theory proved correct in that my pellet stove will run on an inverter and marine battery for 8 hours, saving the generator for daylight so as not to attract attention. Snowblowers and chainsaws during daylight keep folks from wondering where the noise is coming from.
*Honda Eu2000i will run forever on ecothrottle on one tank of gas, and run the coffee pot as needed.
*2-burner camp stove on low will melt enough snow so six people can flush as much as needed, without using a ton of propane.
*Quad with plow is great to a point, but when you run out of room to put the snow, nothing beats a snowblower. It just takes longer.
*Gerber infinity and Fenix EO-1 are kid proof, and don't mind being left on all night.
*Low flood rules indoors, and as long as the light is not too heavy, holding it in your mouth is not a hardship. Headlamps are great as long as you don't look at people and blind them. (My oldest is the most guilty...)
*A good thrower is great for identifying where the broken branches came from, as well as identifying "what was that?" noises for the youngest ones.
*There is no such thing as too prepared, too many batteries, too much stored food and water, and too many lights, as long as other aspects of preparation are not neglected.
*I spent most of my time with a SF Titan and my LS20, Mrs Scout used her Sundrop XR-U. Ceiling bounce with all was great.
*Nothing beats breakfast cooked outside on the camp stove.
*CPF on my cellphone really is no fun...

Brigadier

Enlightened
Amazes me that people will hear about a big storm coming yet never think to fill up their car's gas tank.

Good idea on the inverter and the battery for the pellet stove. I'm gonna hafta investigate that further....

scout24

Flashaholic
Optima blue top battery and an 800 watt inverter was great, battery recharged in 2 hrs. attached to my car. I need a decent charger to run off the generator, though. Next purchase!

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
You lucky dog. What an adventure. :mecry:No snow for me. :mecry:probably this summer we will get screwed royally with a major hurricaine.

JeffInChi

Enlightened
*Honda Eu2000i will run forever on ecothrottle on one tank of gas, and run the coffee pot as needed.

How do you like this generator? I've been looking for another one for several months now, and all I hear is rave reviews and praises for the honda eu2000i. Any faults with this unit or any recommendations for other generators? How long on a tank of gas? Easy to operate? I heard they're fairly quiet all things considered.

Glad you guys stayed warm, safe and sane!

scout24

Flashaholic
JeffInChi-
Love it. I've had mine about 4 years, and highly recommend it. Running on ecothrottle, shutting it off for ten minutes now and again to check oil, I used less than two gallons in 14 hours. That was running my stove and refrigerator on and off, and running an inverter to charge my cellphone and a few batteries. Very user friendly, very quiet. No issues other than the caution to drain and run all gas out when done using it. There are several threads here in the cafe with tons more info about them. I have no basis for comparison other than my last Honda, an EN3500 if memory serves, that my ex took in our divorce. It was louder, used more fuel and was nowhere near as portable. (The generator, as well as the ex...) :D DieselBomber does a comparison with the Yamaha 2400 here, if I recall.

AlexLed- thank you for the battery charger recommendation! i will read up on it.

Last edited:

PharmerMike

Newly Enlightened
. It was louder, used more fuel and was nowhere near as portable. (The generator, as well as the ex...) :D

:crackup: