My new EDC Light

photonwave

Newly Enlightened
Picked up a new LED light today, since my Panthervision hat died. A Viclight, unknown model (faded label, unreadable, got taken off anyways because I hate stickers on my flashlights,) 8-LED light and Laser Pointer. I don't need more than a 20-25 foot throw, typically, and this light has so far delivered. Cheap-o gas station deal, cost $3.99. Aluminum construction, on-off switch cycles between light-off-laser-off.

Uses three AAA batteries. I want to get a hold of some new nickel-zinc AAA batteries to power this.

u6obUl.jpg

OcVw6l.jpg

FkT3El.jpg

I'm pleased, so are my cats.

Last edited:

CPFnoob

Newly Enlightened
Looks like a nice little light for $3.99. I bought the 9 led version from Advanced Auto for $2.50 including batteries. It's good for walking around indoors at night.

almach1

Newly Enlightened
I got one of those in a tool box for those quick little jobs when if forget the. Tk40.

maxrep12

Newly Enlightened
I bought several of those for the kids along time ago. One issue that will arise is incomplete contact between the battery cage and the forward terminal. To fix, you have to put several small pieces of electrical tape behind the forward terminal or contact point to maintain contact. Reliability is very questionable.

photonwave

Newly Enlightened
Can you get NiZn batts in AAA now? I was thinking they're only AA.

Cats and red lasers are great fun.

Geoff

They're still in AA form, sadly. I can't wait for AAA models - I'll bet my HD camera will be so much happier.

photonwave

Newly Enlightened
I bought several of those for the kids along time ago. One issue that will arise is incomplete contact between the battery cage and the forward terminal. To fix, you have to put several small pieces of electrical tape behind the forward terminal or contact point to maintain contact. Reliability is very questionable.

I'll likely just take a pair of needle-nose pliers and bend the thing upwards to give it more spring and contact. Looking inside, I see what you mean - the contact is bent in the middle. Hmm. I think a little plier work will fix this.

The Shang

Newly Enlightened
That's like saying I usually use my Go-Kart when I forget my Lambo at home. :)

photonwave

Newly Enlightened
Just out of curiosity - anybody ever successfully modded one of these? This looks to be a tough job, because the lamp housing section is sealed up. Guess everything is accessed from the back?