• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not certain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
"...The time has come for us brights to come out of the closet. What is a bright? A bright is a person with a naturalist as opposed to a supernaturalist world view. We brights don't believe in ghosts or elves or the Easter Bunny — or God. We disagree about many things, and hold a variety of views about morality, politics and the meaning of life, but we share a disbelief in black magic — and life after death...."

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/12/opinion/12DENN.html

(free registration required)

Empath

Flashaholic
Mr. Dennett seems a bit insecure and unsure of his definitions. He attempts to include agnostics, hypocrites, those without a religious preference. and those without conviction regarding their own churches. Then, he attempts to define them as atheists and cynics.

I think the churches already beat him to the punch when he places their numbers in the majority. They've been citing the words of Christ that says "Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it." I think the churches just use the word "sinner" instead of "bright". There's nothing new or a 1st here.

Heh! I think the reason agnostics call themselves agnostic is because they don't claim one way or the other. They might not like atheists, even with a bright new name, offering a belief system on their behalf.

Your poll is flawed. You include "Yes", "No", and "Not Certain". Mr. Bennett includes the "Not Certain" with the "Yes", since he defines the uncertain as "brights" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Mr. Dennett's Article:
A 2002 survey by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life suggests that 27 million Americans are atheist or agnostic or have no religious preference. That figure may well be too low, since many nonbelievers are reluctant to admit that their religious observance is more a civic or social duty than a religious one — more a matter of protective coloration than conviction.

[/ QUOTE ]

tattoou2

Enlightened
Why do we need labels to further categorize people and pigeon-hole them based on a personal belief systems? Do all "brights" adhere to a naturalistic perspective? Do all non-brights believe in a supreme being? Seemingly then, there are just too many shades of gray.

I would say I am a Bright, Catholic, Asian, Native American, Buddhist, Methodist, Non-Bright, Irish, Jew, African American, Rastafarian, Norwegian, Democratic, Republican. What difference does it make?

SHINER

Newly Enlightened
I guess I would be A bright.Cause I'm A bible toting, Amen shouting bench jumping glad to be, Born again believer.
I say that makes me and other born again believers quit BRIGHT.
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

SHINER.

SHINER

Newly Enlightened
In that guys poll.He ain't a bright.He bulb upstairs has done went out.Its amazing what people will come up with in the english context to change the meaning to satisfy the emptyness inside.I think they should really be called lost souls.Today's world ,people have to see it or touch it to believe it.Hey photon your right about them changing the meanings of words.

Hey but guess what .Theres a better day A coming!!!!!!.
Hey ,in HEAVEN WON'T NEED NO FLASHLIGHTS.NO DARKNESS!!
Don't want to see none of ya trying to sneek none in either.
HEHE.
LATER.
SHINER.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would fall into the definition of a Bright, but I am not a joiner, so I will not claim membership in that silly club.

I definitely agree that it is a lousy use of a perfectly good word. Being a Bright should be the same thing as being a flashaholic. I think that would be a better use of the word and a better term for a flashaholic.