BIG Flashlight Reccomendations?

Millenniumman

Newly Enlightened
I've got a fenix l2d and l0d that I like a lot. They're really compact and easy to use. Lately, though, I've been wanting something larger and really powerful. Something 6-D maglite size, but LED. In fact, upgrading that 6D maglite with the TerraLUX TLE-300M-EX forum is the first thing I've been looking at. I like the size, power, form factor, power source. Is there anything else that might be better, though? More light, mass, output options, ways to carry it would all be welcome. The D cells I like though (I would use NIHM cells). I am not prepared to purchase a lighthouse.

Natedog100

Newly Enlightened
I have a 6D Maglite with the Malkoff drop-in which I am very pleased with. I purchased the Malkoff over the Terralux because I wanted the best quality and throw possible.

P.S. If you like D-cell lights, Radio Shack is clearancing their "radio shack" batteries (which are re-badged energizers) for 99 cents/two pack.

OfficerCamp

Enlightened
Suck it up and buy a lighthouse. Lighthouses Rule!

Seriously though, you've already told yourself exactly what you want, so go with the Malkoff drop in or perhaps get in touch with a custom builder like Nailbender and see if they can brew you up something wicked :devil:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
SF-M6 and a Led Zep mod (my fave big light).
Xstar D30 howetzer

Mag mods are great too.

Theres a lot you can do if size is not a concern. Don't forget HIDs too:thumbsup:

paulr

Flashaholic
OLight Intimidator? It's about the most powerful LED light out there. It's around the length of a 4D Mag but the head diameter is much larger.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
4d mag with 6 18650 cells, and 3xp7 kit.
i build one like that from parts and services that are sold here. by members.
it is my brightest and most favorite light. (well hid searchlight is brighter, but not my most favorite), if you build this one you wont regret, ever.
here is what mine looks like. it is silver mag
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/262913

JeffInChi

Enlightened
+1 for the M6, its a classic, but you'll spend some $$$ on the light, and the multiple aftermarket/custom battery combos and light accessories out there.

The Legion II made here by a member on cpf might be worth looking into also, as it's roughly the size of a 2 D maglite and has some serious firepower.

For the money, A nice HID flashlight will put out high lumens. They're usually around the size of a 2-6D Maglite, and usually measured in watts. They have better throw and color renditioning than LED's as well. Of course, they have their flaws too, just a consideration.

Happy hunting!

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd suggest a 12V-DC HID spotlight. They will *easily* out throw any flashlight out there and generally cost the same or even less. When it comes to throw distance versus dollars, HID spotlights can't be beat.

That is assuming that you're looking to throw a beam a really far distance. If you're into the floody "wall of light," then the Terralux TLE-300M-EX may be what you're after. I have one in my 4D maglite and though it has the ugliest beam pattern out there, it just lights up everything in a wide area. Honestly, the whole beam pattern thing is kind of over rated in my opinion anyway because often when using a light out in the wild, how the beam pattern looks indoors on a white wall doesn't matter much. Or at least to me it doesn't.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one in my 4D maglite and though it has the ugliest beam pattern out there, it just lights up everything in a wide area. Honestly, the whole beam pattern thing is kind of over rated in my opinion anyway because often when using a light out in the wild, how the beam pattern looks indoors on a white wall doesn't matter much. Or at least to me it doesn't.
i have one of those too, very unusual beam, looks like 6 squares overlaping, but it is great drop in anyway.

carrot

Flashaholic
I can't think of any other huge flashlight I'd rather own right now than the Olight SR90 Intimidator. It is rechargeable (just plug it in), so no worries about batteries.

stallion2

Enlightened
the SR90 is awesome and i will never sell mine...i hope. thats going to quite an extreme though. it is a HEAVY light. Wolfeyes' Pilot Whale seems to be a good one. it just so happens that Hivoltage is selling his on marketplace...to help balance the cost of the SR90 he just got. the Catapult is another i would recommend...its one of the purchases w/ which i'm most pleased.

uknewbie

Banned
I think it really depends on why you want a large light. You seem to be saying that you want it large in size more than output, although I assume this matters too.

I have a six d mag rop high with a crenellated end and red flash cap tail. I like this light because it is a makeshift weapon, glass breaker, signal beacon etc all in one. High capacity too with six d cells. I have a 5761 bulb coming for it too to try.

That said light output to size the ratio is not very impressive.