Found a bunch of 18650's, what to put them into?

Streak

Enlightened
I have an old laptop battery pack which I stripped.
I have 8 or so 18650's which appear to be in good condition and have taken a charge no problem. I assume they will be unprotected cells as these packs usually only have one protection circuit for the whole pack.

I have the SF L4 Lumamax but the tube is too small for an 18650 and only fits 17670's.
I have looked at some of the multiple (2x and 4x) lights from Fenix, Quark and Eagletac.

I dont want to get one of these 18650 compatible lights and then find that a better one is about to come out e.g. the Maelstrom from 4 Sevens.
Some of them wont fit an 18650 as standard and need a different tube.
Ideally I would like a light that can run either an 18650 or 2xCR123's using the same tube.

There is no hurry or immediate need it's just having the batteries that's driving me. (Strange how us CPFers minds work!!)

CampingLED

Enlightened
I found a guy who repacks the notebook batteries. He gave me a whole box of them (probably between 500 and 1000). Now I have even a bigger problem than you.

Yes, they are unprotected. You can buy add-on protection circuits from e.g. DX. I mainly use mine in lights that talk to me (either has built in protection or light output dimms notably when the battery output gets low).

You need to check the voltages closely and only work with batteries that have not discharged to below +-2.8V. Also ensure that your charger does not charge them above 4.2V.

We live in exiting times with the pace that new LEDs are released and there are always better lights to be released on the horison.

amigafan2003

Enlightened
MG PLI or MG L-Mini II will run two C123's or a single 18650 with 3 modes and excellent regulation and both have low voltage cut off which is important when using unprotected batteries.

The MG PLI will soon be upgraded with an SST-50.

CampingLED

Enlightened
Hey another SA flashaholic!!
Amazing how we have to make a plan to get these batteries locally, not as easy as overseas.

PM sent.

I had 4 batteries, but I want to use 2 x 2packs in my new headlamp (do not want to take a chance with unprotected cells in this application. The notebook ones will be used in my other lights.

EuphoricGrIn

Newly Enlightened
And yet another SA flashaholic...

I haven't really had a problem sourcing 18650's via DX, although of late customs holds every package and I need to produce an invoice before they'll release stuff.

Here's my favourite newish toy from DX (that uses 18650's) - SKYRAY Cree XPG-R4

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
i had the same problem a month ago. found 3 laptop batteries(24x18650) one of which was brand new. so i had a bunch.
i ended up getting a dmini vx ultra. not really versatile. more of a smallest package to give alot of light.

i would recommend the MG L-Mini II(shiningbeam) if you want a good general flashlight. (i didnt get it because i already have too many of those types)

or maybe a
eagletac t20c2
or the
jetbeam rrt-2(still thinking about one)

Streak

Enlightened
Thanks folks. Neither the MG PLI nor MG L-Mini II are listed on Shining Beam's website. I have emailed them.

The Skyray XPGR4 looks great. What was the shipping time to SA and did you have any customs issues?

Rocketman

Enlightened
Buy a Malkoff MD4 body with switch, a MD2 head, and a M61. Put two of your 18650's inside. Let me know how long it runs. Post beamshots. Because before I spend all that money, I'd like to know how it works out.

And, thanks. :grin2:

Streak

Enlightened
Buy a Malkoff MD4 body with switch, a MD2 head, and a M61. Put two of your 18650's inside. Let me know how long it runs. Post beamshots. Because before I spend all that money, I'd like to know how it works out.

And, thanks. :grin2:
:twothumbs:twothumbs Sounds like a great idea but not quite what I had in mind.

For those of you wanting me to me to send them to you. Just find someone who rebuilds laptop battery packs and get a bunch of the old batteries from them. Many are 18650's and you can probably get them for free.

Just remember that they will be unprotected cells so use a light that wont drain them all the way down.

The Trustfire also looks good, thanks.

Streak

Enlightened
MG PLI or MG L-Mini II will run two C123's or a single 18650 with 3 modes and excellent regulation and both have low voltage cut off which is important when using unprotected batteries.

The MG PLI will soon be upgraded with an SST-50.

I contacted Bryan and he says that there will be a new model MG L-Mini coming out in the next month or so and no stock of the current one.

The MG PLI SST-50 could be ready by the end of this month.

The only lights they currently have that will run off 18650's is the MG RX-1 MC-E.