viewing nocturnal birds/mammals

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordsvin

Newly Enlightened
I'm about to go to Africa looking for small nocturnal creatures :eek:. I have a Flood-to-Throw Zooming Focusable Cree Q3-WC 130-Lumen LED Headlamp (3*AAA) to find my way in the jungle and to detect eye shine, but what would you recommend as a compact thrower?

* Very good throw (no flood needed since I have the headlamp)
* Comapct (so I can carry it in my pocket at all times)
* Battery time of an hour or so is enough (since I have the headlamp)
* Money is not an issue :D

I got a WiseLED Compact now, but I need something smaller, with a better throw. I also have a Triad ASP II, but it doesn't quite do the job.
Suggestions?

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
Don't know how it goes in Africa, but in North America you see a lot of nocturnal animals by using a red filtered light, which many if not most animals cannot themselves see. Otherwise, a honking big-lumen light would scare away most everything that saw it coming, and people who use those for waylaying and shooting deer etc (this is illegal of course) sneak up in the dark and use the light to temporarily freeze them in the beam. Not sure I would want to prowl around in the dark or even moonlight in unfamiliar Africa... and of course where you're going, scaring away larger animals might be a real asset- unless the hungrier ones actually use your light as a beacon to find you... (I again plead ignorance of African conditions). A search light scenario does work on the water, as when looking for frogs etc. Unless you're working with personal knowledge or informed local advice, I would certainly keep the red light option in mind- and of course a white light plus a very large calibre rifle. In a pinch, red cellophane or similar film material works pretty well as a filter.

PS: I've been considering buying a Surefire Kroma, which is expensive, pretty powerful as a regular light, and also apparently puts out two intensities of red light, one of those quite powerful. If you go that way yourself, please post your Kroma findings!

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I bet that you could shoot birds out of the sky if you have a bright enough light...

In any case, my part to this thread is that I don't know how good a throw you need but the Olight M30 throws pretty well, is very bright and is pocketable, although a bit on the big side. For really good throw you'll want an aspheric but none are coming to mind that fit in a pocket.

Last edited:

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go for a Dereelight with aspheric lens. Unbelievable throw for such a small package. If the head is too broad, I also have an Olight M20 premium that has tramendous throw for its size. Can't compete at all with the aspherics, but I have spotted a lot of animals with it (elk, deer, coyote, fox, etc). I don't use it as an edc, but for everything else this is the light I keep with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.