Photon Rex charging help needed

max6166

Newly Enlightened
I just received a Photon Rex and I can't get it to start charging.

I think the problem is due to the positive contact on the charger being flush with the plastic. The positive contact does not seem to touch the recessed positive contact on the Rex at all.

The negative contact with plastic molding seems fine. I checked and the plastic around the negative contact is not interfering with it.

I tried charging the Rex with D, AAA, and 2xAAA cells.

I am pretty certain the problem is that the positive contact is not protruding from the charger's plastic enough to reach the contact on the Rex though.

I am debating whether to pry open the charger to see if I can push that contact out a little. It seems like it should be a simple matter, but I don't want to void the warranty if I am wrong... :thinking:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Before trying any field surgery I'd just contact LRI (the Photon people) about the problem. Bet they'd send you another charger. I think I've heard of this problem before.

In the mean time I'd try to complete the circuit with a small piece of foil or something and make sure charging does work. I assume you haven't reversed the hook-up (similar sized contacts together, charger "legs" pointing to front of light).

Good luck. This is a fun little light.

Geoff

max6166

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, FT. That is good advice. :thumbsup:

I used some foil as you suggested and the Rex is recharging/blinking now.

I'll fully test the Rex first and if everything is still ok, I'll just contact them about the charger.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Glad it's charging, Max. Don't know if you've dug up any of the old threads on the Rex, but you might find them interesting. One thing I've been careful about is to not use any battery beyond 1.5v for charging. In fact it does fine with 1.2v NiMH's. When the Rex first came out some folks killed theirs using 6v. Some of the early advertising said it would be alright, but it wasn't. I did try a worn out CR123 once, but it just kept blinking. Probably not enough juice. Normally I use a NiMH AA, and it takes about 3-4 hours before full charge and blinking stops.

Geoff

max6166

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I did scour through quite a few old threads on the Rex. I found lots of people with problems with the negative terminal - I think I am the first where the positive contact was the problem.

I am just using an alkaline AA right now. It's still blinking away... :)

Last edited:

Latest posts