Is there a 20 ish mm aspherical lens/optic for MCE?

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guys,

Currently I am working on a 3 MCE M*glite for a customer who stated he would like to have one of the 3 with an aspherical lens/or optic. It will need to be about 20MM since that is the size of the other 2 reflectors. Anybody know where to get such a thing, or am going to have to improvise?

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going with one MC-E with an aspheric lens will result in the four dice being projected - hardly attractive for throw, which is what I presume he wants it for. Have you grilled him on what result he really wants?

The Dane

Enlightened
I just took a asp to a MCE and let's just say i was not impressed at all!
In fact the original XRE threw more light out the front.

DSCN2831.jpg

The smaller the die is compared to the asp diameter the better the picture and light gathering capacity will get.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going with one MC-E with an aspheric lens will result in the four dice being projected - hardly attractive for throw, which is what I presume he wants it for. Have you grilled him on what result he really wants?

I am familiar with the 4 dies from a single mce in a maglite with an aspherical. He did tell me that having a perfect beam is not a priority. The things he specified are multiple emitters ( in this case 3 or more NW MCE) with the longest throw possible. It was his suggestion to do the one with an aspherical because of this mod.
DSC_6418.jpg

The reflectors I had planned to use for this were the 20mm ledil booms with 10 degree narrow beam from nailbender, but I am not sure this is going to give enough throw.

If you guys have another suggestion for this type setup that will give better throw I would be willing to run it by him. I just want to make sure he gets a light he is truly happy with.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Is there a 20 ish mm aspherical lens/optic for MC-E?

I just took a asp to a MCE and let's just say i was not impressed at all!
I'm thinking poisonous snakes and Cleopatra. :thinking:

Wouldn't a single XR-E R2 with an aspheric lens give better throw than an MC-E? (Edit: yes, The Dane says that.) A case of less is more. They have a primary optic that narrows the beam angle and can be run harder than the separate dice of the MC-E.

Last edited:

A380

Newly Enlightened
Aspherical lens: you could use DX sku 13903. They are 21mm but can be grind to 20mm because it is plastic.
If he wants throw you could use as state above a XR-E with a separate driver like DX sku 26110 .

jwyj

Enlightened
These are 3 photos I took 2 weeks ago during chinese new year midnight fireworks. Using Deerelight host with MC-E pill and aspherical lens.
81266721.jpg

60076467.jpg

Don't you think they give you a nice "WOW' factor? :grin2: :grin2:

24830345.jpg

Last edited: