Anyone here carve their own fishing lures or tie flies?

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Just curious....I tie some basics and carve some small minnow like single hook fly rod minnow baitfish out of balsa wood. Will try to post a pic.

Ska-T

Newly Enlightened
I've tied flies in the past (mostly for trout) and will in the future. Not doing it presently though.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
I used to help Dad make a bunch of salt water lures, but they were dead simple lures - basically jigs/spoons made from some old stainless dinner knives we got free. Cut the blade off the handle, drill for the ring at the front, and 2 more holes for the hooks, and done

funkymonkey1111

Enlightened
I've done both--bass plugs out of balsa. would copy mirrolures or heddon plugs, as well as rapala divers. i made a hula popper type clone, too. i never could get the divers to track straight, but i was only 17 when i did it....

i've tied saltwater and trout flies from 4/0 down to 22.

Sarratt

Enlightened
I don't make my own but I add and subtract from current lures.

on a sad note .. my last two summer vacations have been very ''fishless'' *sigh*

Anyone in Ontario want to help ?.. (catch and release) ?

circa

Newly Enlightened
When i was 16/17 I tied some of my own flies. Being young (still @ 22) I didnt have the patience to do very well at tying quality flies.
However I tied caddis dries that were very effective and heavy unbalanced leech patterns that did better than any leech pattern I have ever bought.
I still have two black wooly buggers left... im trying not to lose them!

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
I used to help Dad make a bunch of salt water lures, but they were dead simple lures - basically jigs/spoons made from some old stainless dinner knives we got free. Cut the blade off the handle, drill for the ring at the front, and 2 more holes for the hooks, and done

Did you use them for Stripers, or Steelhead?