My Quark 2aa goes "POW"

fnsooner

Enlightened
At the risk of being labeled "That Crazy Person", I have a strange(and true) story to share about what happened to my Quark 2AA R2 a couple of days ago and to see if this has ever happened to anyone else.

I grabbed my Quark and crawled behind my entertainment center to re-route some wiring. During the process, I noticed that the clicky on my flashlight was getting hard to push. So I inspect the clicky end and notice that the rubber boot is dome shaped and spongy when I pushed down on it. It got to where I couldn't get enough leverage with my thumb to depress the switch. So I wrapped my hand around the flashlight and used my trigger finger to click the clicky.

The next series of events happened in around five or six seconds. My nose was within six inches of the tailcap and I was peering down at the clicky end, so I had a birds eye view of the events to come. I started clicking the flashlight off and on a few times, noticing it getting harder to click each time. Then "POW", my finger was kick away from the end on the tailcap and the rubber boot flew off. It sounded similar to popping the cork on a bottle of champagne.

Still behind my A/V equipment, I was kind of bewildered at what just occurred. My initial thoughts directly after the boot blew off was that I pumped that puppy up with air like a bicycle tire.

I have never had the tailcap, clicky and boot apart before, so I didn't know what it was suposed to look like under the boot. The clicky would click, but the light didn't work. I performed the paper clip trick wiht the tailcap off and I could get the light to work and run through all its modes. I figured the clicky was bad and I put the light on the fridge and was going to call 4Sevens when I had the chance.

I thought about it for a couple of days and decided that the pneumatic propulsion of my rubber boot was a little far fetched and that it was probably something mechanical that came loose in the clicky and some sort of spring effect caused the boot to become air-born.

So last night I get time to take another look at the light. I used a couple of golf tees to unscrew the internal nut in the tailcap and remove the clicky assembly. It all looked good to me, so I install the boot and clickie and nut and snug it all down. The flashlight is now working like a brand new one.

Now I'm back to thinking that I pumped that thing up with air and blew the rubber boot off. Maybe one of the o-rings had a one way leak and was acting like a reed valve in a compressor. Very strange.

Has this happened to any one else?

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you were using alkalines, they could have vented hydrogen that built up, and eventually exited from the weakest point, the rubber boot. Not an explosion, merely an escaping gas.

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
it's a rather common occurrence when cells vent. the problem is not with the light, but with the cells inside. they outgassed hydrogen gas and the pressure built up inside the light.

fnsooner

Enlightened
Eneloops were in it and the same batteries are still being used. The batteries venting does sound more believeable. Is there a way to test the batteries for this venting? I have a digital volt meter.

I have been lurking around the forums for about six months now and I don't have an alkaline in the house.

I have read several posts about batteries venting. Not sure why I didn't think of that.

Last edited:

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use 2xEneloops in my older Fenix L2D-ce and the tailcap button will start to "bloat" on turbo after a few minutes of continuous use. Doesn't happen everytime, but I remember reading threads where people recommended unscrewing the light to release the pressure or even poking a hole in the tailcap.

First time I encountered this, I had been using the L2D as a candle and it fell off the table. I was puzzled as to why tail standing failed before I noticed the rounded protrusion.

I also could have sworn that someone mentioned that trying different pairs of Eneloops might do the trick. Something about "matching" batteries, don't remember the technicalities...

Last edited:

fnsooner

Enlightened
I use 2xEneloops in my older Fenix L2D-ce and the tailcap button will start to "bloat" on turbo after a few minutes of continuous use. Doesn't happen everytime, but I remember reading threads where people recommended unscrewing the light to release the pressure or even poking a hole in the tailcap.

Should I dispose of the batteries or is this kind of normal?

headophile

Enlightened
i believe this venting happens when you use cells whose charges aren't equal then discharged too low. happened to my ld20 before. i've since allocated 4 cells to this light in matched pairs. didn't happen again :)

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
I've had a duraloop vent on me, causing a puffy tail boot, but it was probably because the cell was damaged due to dropping. :ohgeez:

fnsooner

Enlightened
i believe this venting happens when you use cells whose charges aren't equal then discharged too low. happened to my ld20 before. i've since allocated 4 cells to this light in matched pairs. didn't happen again :)

I have bought many lights, batteries and chargers this winter, so I can't say for certain the exact story on these batteries. Just that they have been bought recently. I have been fairly charge happy just trying to learn about batteries etc.

I have been fairly diligent on keeping batteries assigned to specific lights. I will put the batteries in question on the LaCrosse tonight and check out how low they are.

carrot

Flashaholic
This happens sometimes. It is not particularly dangerous, and it is replicable under certain circumstances.

fnsooner

Enlightened
Ok, I just got home and I need to apologize for some misinfo that I gave in my follow up posts. They were not Eneloops but some cheap non-LSD batteries I got with a pos charger when I was experimenting with dumb chargers. Nuons, 2500 mah nimhs. One battery read 1.31v and the other 1.75mv. They went in the trash.

Every body move along, nothing to see here.:p

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
the one cell was probably fine, only the one was most likely dead.

in the future, match cell pairs/groups.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
:wtf:

Well, OP isn't crazy. Maybe EDCing a hand-cranked flashlight isn't such a bad idea. :shakehead

fnsooner

Enlightened
the one cell was probably fine, only the one was most likely dead.

in the future, match cell pairs/groups.

Actually they were matched. They came out of the same pakage and were charged side by side. Evidently they were matched pieces of crap.

I think I am ready for some of them there 10440s to throw in my ld01.:D

Last edited:

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
Actually they were matched. They came out of the same pakage and were charged side by side. Evidently they were matched pieces of crap.

I think I am ready for some of them there 10440s to throw in my ld01.:D

that's not what matching means. matching means matching similar capacity and impedance, not just keeping the same cells together without knowing how good (or bad) they are.

fnsooner

Enlightened
that's not what matching means. matching means matching similar capacity and impedance, not just keeping the same cells together without knowing how good (or bad) they are.

You are correct, I haven't gotten to the stage in this learnig process where I am checking internal resistance and the like. That is still over my head at this point.
I doubt if I even had these cells in my laCrosse 900. I think I just charged them with the charger they came with and put them in the flashlight.

I think I will chalk this up as learning something new and be glad I didn't get hurt.

Thank you for your input. It is appreciated.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Don't worry, NiMH chemistry is not known to be terribly dangerous or violently explosive. You learned something new, and didn't kill or maim anyone in the process. That's good. :thumbsup: