Why didn't I just read the directions!!

Edgy

Newly Enlightened
Over 3 months ago, I returned 2 akoray k-106 to DX. I just realized yesterday that I forgot to email them a picture of my shipping receipt, which I have long since thrown away... :ohgeez:Now I think I may be SOL. So now, not only do I not get my replacements, but I don't even get my broken lights back. God, I feel stupid right now. Anyone else here done the same? Id like to hear how it went lol.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is one of the reasons I stay away from international sellers (except cheap non-electronic items, such as my D to 2AA adapters). I'm surprised you found returning them to be worth it. Chances are, shipping will cost too much, they will claim to have not received it, or it will get lost somewhere inbetween, and all three are quite likely.

I had ordered some glass windows from KD earlier this month, and upon finding out that they were based in HK and also on Chinese New Year vacation, I promptly cancelled my order and ordered from a US seller. It was more expensive, but there would be no wait time, and if something wasn't right, USPS domestic is faster, cheaper, and trackable. I guess it was my fault for not doing my research...not to mention that I got charged $0.11 for international purchase (but that was refunded with the main refund).

icpd30

Newly Enlightened
I did something probably even worse than you. I ordered several flashlight from DX or BestOfferBuy or SomeSuch. One of the lights was a rechargeable. It looked like an 18650 battery modded to accept a pin on a charging cord. Whatever. When I got it, I tried it right away and the light was very dim (like me) so I plugged it in to charge it. The next day I tried it again and nothing. So, I left it in the charger for a couple more days but it never did work.

I emailed the company and they were more than glad to have me air ship it back to them. They would then reimburse me the shipping and send me a new light. Seems like a good deal, but I hate the hassle of reboxing, labeling, and heading off to USPS. I narrowed the defective part down to the led, driver, or entire pill. (I hope I'm using those terms correctly.) I sent emails asking them to replace just the broken pill. They had no idea what I was talking about..."please sent photos to explain." Which I did. You see, it seem very reasonable to me for them just to send a replacement part, instead of paying for air shipping 2 ways. Yeah, right.

After about 6 or 7 emails back and forth, they just quit responding. What did I get out of it? Well, I could have sent it back for essentially nothing and gotten a working flashlight. Instead, I've got a flashlight with rechargeable battery that I had to wangle a drop-in into from another of my lights. Boy, I sure showed them. :shakehead

CreeX1.JPG

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Bummer, Edgy. We all do stuff like this sometimes. Don't kick yourself, after all, real men (and women) don't need no stinkin' directions. :mecry:

Geoff

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't feel too bad, it can happen to anyone. I was once going to try to return something to one of those Asian dealers, but decided in the end that is wasn't worth the hassle. Now I just buy everything domestically unless nobody here sells the item. Then I strongly consider whether I really need the item or not. :D

-Robert

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Sorry about that. :(

I have actually had great luck with DX when I have had a problem. They have rather promptly replaced several items that arrived either DOA or broke soon after.

When I want cheap chinese crap flashahol, I don't hesitate to order.

bluepilgrim

Enlightened
It's a bit of a lottery -- something like going to garage sales -- you can get burned if you go to just one, but if you keep going then you probably do well over the long run -- and you have all that adventure.

So far I've gotten 4 things from China, and they all worked -- although the 6-mode Akoray K-106 turned out to be as advertised instead of the 3-mode I was hoping to get, which was also being shipped around that time -- but each time there was a reaction of 'Wow -- what luck -- this thing actually works!'.

The odds of 'winning' are better than lotteries or garage sales, really, but, like playing poker, it's not a sure thing, and it's a different sort of experience than buying from a better grade merchant (and paying somewhat more for that).

All in all, buying from Hong Kong is an interesting part of the hobby.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
sorry to hear about your problems with these sites, i personally have not had any with DX, out of 58 orders that i have with them, a few were obviously faulty but the items were either replaced or repaired without much in the way of hassle.

The only item i had to send back was my Ultrafire WF500 incand but they sent my repaired/replaced item back in due course.