Regarding the KX2C, KL4, TW4 and E1E

N467RX

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so right now I have a pretty much brand new E1E, I don't use it a lot because it's an incan and I'd like to convert it to LED.

The KL4 is discontinued but some places still have a few of them, and it would be great if I could still get one.

It is my understanding that it won't run very well on a CR123 and that some type of rechargeable is required. Is this true? and if so, what kind of battery is needed?

The KX2C has 120 lumens, which I would assume are not reachable with a single battery. Would it provide at least the same amount of light as the E1B? or is it better to go with the regular KX2 60/3 lm head?

For those running the KX2 conversions, do you run on lithium batteries or rechargeables? are rechargeables really needed in this case?

Thanks for the input

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need a single 3.7V rechargable 123 battery for the OLD Kl4 to work. Runs for about 20m. KX2C, if its anything like my KX2 (low output) lits up on a 3.7V. In both cases, you need a rechargeable

Size15's

Flashaholic
What about trying to get hold of the new KX1A bezel used by the M300A ScoutLigyht? Give SureFire a call to see whether they're offering it individually yet.

N467RX

Newly Enlightened
You need a single 3.7V rechargable 123 battery for the OLD Kl4 to work. Runs for about 20m. KX2C, if its anything like my KX2 (low output) lits up on a 3.7V. In both cases, you need a rechargeable

What's the runtime on the old KX2 at high (60lm?)?

I should write to SF and see if there's plans for the KX1A.

Last edited:

Gatsby

Enlightened
I have a few different configurations that I use with my E1 body and/or my FB1 body - and unfortunately you need to generally commit to the CR123 primary or a 3.7v RCR123 format depending on the head.

If you're willing to use a 3.7v RCR123 your options are broader, the L4 derivative heads, the KX2 and some of Milky's heads (Boxter, Seoulmator, Creemator I believe are all 3.7v RCR123 compatible).

If you want to use a primary I'd throw out the KX1 dual mode head. For all intents and purposes as bright as the KX2 and the low mode is quite useful - not to mention very good runtimes.

I've pondered adding an L4 head of some sort to get the higher lumens but I'd want a McE2S two level switch and those are nearly impossible to find - and my Creemator is twice as bright, at least, with more modes so I'm not sure it is worth it.

Personally - if I am going to recommend an upgrade head I'd heartily recommend a Milky Creemator. Mine is a wonderful light, bright and very useful and the current Acorn 1.3 driver and Califon software has as many bells or whistles in a useful package as you could want. And you can use it with an E2 body and a 17670, or two primaries for longer runtime and more output respectively. Current optics models can be focused as well - kind of neat (although mine is a reflector model). And of course you can have Milky customize it however you'd like, software or hardware wise within limits.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the runtime on the old KX2 at high (60lm?)?

I should write to SF and see if there's plans for the KX1A.
The old KX2 is not 60, it's 45lm. It originally ran for 9-11 (i can't remember) hrs on 2x CR123.
What would you want out of the KX1A?