Ultrafire 501B with SST-50 a sub $60 light complete

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have one of these yet - Ultrafire 501B 3 mode with the Luminous SST-50 LED? It took me exactly 60 days to get this one :shakehead but it finally arrived. For an SST-50 based light to come in under $60 (that's with shipping) I think it's a fairly good deal. I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to post some pics and maybe a review here but I'll throw out a couple details now. Nice finish reminds me of a Surefire 6P but I'm sure it's only type II ano on this one. It came with both an OP and smooth reflector and is very bright - claimed is 665 Lumens but I'll guess maybe around 500-550 OTF. It uses an 18650 and I'll need to check but I think it may use 2 x CR123's also (and maybe even 2 x RCR123's). It has instant memory of last mode used so it will always come on where you left it. It will not tailstand. Three modes are high, low and strobe but depending on where you leave it that's circular so it can be low, strobe, high or strobe, high and low.
Mine arrived with the LED very off center and the reflector can't easily be positioned to center it so I will need to move the star it's on if I want it centered. It's not too obvious though with the OP reflector. The star is held down the the heat sink (and capsule for the circuit) by something that looks and feels like white silicone. It's rubbery unlike thermal paste or an epoxy. I'm not sure if it's just plain silicone or some type of thermal silicone. Is anyone familiar with that type of mounting material? I would need to remove the star and reposition it to have it centered.
This one came off fleabay as DX didn't yet have any when I ordered it (2009). Apparently the first one was lost by the postal service and the second one took a full month by Airmail :thinking: so I can't recommend the seller. The LED dome also has an obvious finger print on one side - probably when someone realized it was off center they gave it a push but too late as the white goop was set. I still consider it a good 'user' light as my only other really bright LED light in this Lumen range is an exotically nice custom by darkzero.

joshconsulting

Enlightened
Mind checking the tailcap current? It should give a fairly accurate representation of OTF lumens.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like about 1.95 Amps with a single 18650 which had 4.13 no load volts on it. Sorry no pics yet as I'm too busy on other projects and just checked in here for a minute. Beam shots are not going to be too impressive - except you'll see it's fairly floody even with the smo reflector. It's very white in tint but has a little of what I've seen with Golden Dragon emitters where there's a little slight yellow outside the hotspot with a little slight purple or blue outside that. Lights up a room though about like a 50-60 watt bulb.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tested SST-50's X-Star at 2.4A = 450ish lumens.

A SST-50 P60 2.5A by Nailbender and pulls 2.78A at the tail w/IMR 18650 = 470~500 OTF

The lights I tested had IMR 18650 or AW 2600mAh cells and it will matter if you have Ultrafire/Trustfire or other cells not designed for high current.

At 1.9A at the tail if it is direct drive that current will drop...drop...drop...and so will the output. Is this light regulated?

I think these are the specs:

Water Resistant - Water Resistant - With "O" Ring sealed on both ends
Shock Resistant - Hard anodized finish for extreme corrosion impact

Luminus SST-50 6500k - 665 lumens with Mid > Low > High level
Save 40% power compare with Xenon and Luxeon Bulb
Durable aluminum reflector (Textured and Smooth reflector included)
Digital Regulated for Constant Brightness
Three Mode for different environment

Lifetime : 100,000hrs
Operation voltage : 3.0v - 4.2v

Click On/Off button at bottom cap
Size: Length 13cm, Diameter 3cm
Handstrap and Holster included

Compatible batteries (not included):
1 x 18650 Rechargeable 3.7v batteries

Package included:
Ultrafire WF-501B Flashlight with Luminus SST-50
Reflector x2 (Textured x1, Smooth x1)