New kid on the block, need some advice!

Scootie

Banned
Hi!

Im new to the forum and i must say, all info i read here opened up a new world to me, never thought you could do so much mods to a simple flashlight :)

So my situation is as this, i am planning on going on a longer journey to South America, into the jungles, so for that i need a flashlight. And im also looking for a simple flashlight for my mom and dad and for one that i can use in my car.

The ones i have found that appeals to me are the Romisen RC-G2 that is a simple 1-mode flashlight and im thinking of buying it to my parents.

For my journey im looking at the UltraFire C3, but i have some questions about mods i am thinking of doing to the UltraFire for my journey.

I know that these are AA-driven flashlights, why? well because the availability to find new batteries everywhere, like a precaution :)

- Is there any way to get the UltraFire C3 to work in 3 different modes, Hi Low and SOS? If so, what is needed to be changed?

- If you would go on a trip like this, into the jungles would you go for a more warm white light output or the blueish one? If so, what is needed to make this change of light colour output?

- And finally, what is good to do to these flashlights before going on this journey, i've read about greasing threads and so on, is this necessary?

As a small notice i can say that i am planning on buying these from DX with a budget of ~$20 on each light.

And again, thanks for all feedback and info on this great forum!

// Tomas

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
My advise is don't go into the jungle with a $20 light unless it is the only thing you can currently afford. The last place I would want to be with a cheap light is in a dark jungle no disrespect to Ultrafire or Romisen they are ok for the price.

Do yourself a big favor and atleast get a Fenix, Quark, Eagletac their are several lights in the $50 range and if you can afford it get a Surefire or Jetbeam, those are just a few of the brands I would have some peace of mind with out in a jungle.

carrot

Flashaholic
My only advice is you're looking at lights that are too cheap to be relied upon. Try Quark, Olight...

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're going to buy a Romisen light, I would strongly suggest buying it from here instead of Deal Extreme:

http://www.shiningbeam.com/

They have a *much* better reputation than Deal Extreme and they also sell Romisen lights.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
A romisen is perfect for your parents and general use around the house.

My suggestion for your expedition would be a Fenix TK20, pack a spare tailcap or two in case your clicky fails. Add a Zebralight H501 headlamp. Add a gerber UI as a backup, just in case. Pack a bunch of Lithium primaries or eneloop AA. If you can get alkalines locally, thats another option.

Skip the $20 DX junk.

This thread might interest you.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/219738
Good Luck!!

Last edited:

Ian2381

Enlightened
If you'll be using it for a journey bring 2 lights, 1 for EDC(small) and any bigger lights (2AA).

For EDC
ITP A2(AA) - 3 modes
ITP A3(AAA) - 3modes

In DX

Any Romisen or Tank AA lights

Bigger AA lights

Solarforce L2r (2AA) or Romisen RC N3 (2AA)

:grin2: