Ti Preon I as EDC

andrewnewman

Enlightened
Since it's release last year I have been considering the Preon I as a plausible EDC. Most of my days are spent in "office dork" attire (dress slacks & jacket & tie etc...) so too many things clipped to pockets draws attention. On the other hand I never liked having really small lights on my keychain as the keys always had to be unclipped for me to use the light for more than a few minutes.

So I pulled the trigger and got a Preon I. You might ask after the above paragraph why I would buy a light that has as options either a clip or a keyring holder. Simple. You don't need to install either. While this may be blazingly obvious, I hadn't seen it mentioned nor have I found any pictures of the Preon I with neither clip nor split ring holder.

The clip has a high "gouge" factor being stainless steel and needs to be removed carefully. After, you can merely screw the end cap all the way down. The battery still fits and the light still operates. It looks a whole lot better this way and sits unobtrusively in the bottom of my front pocket. As others have mentioned, the titanium threads are a bit rough but this doesn't appear to be the result of excess machining debris. I guess it is just hard to cut smooth Ti threads. After cleaning, lubricating and working them for a bit it has smoothed out.

I just thought I'd give a "shout out" for the Preon I as it has exceeded my expectations and seems to been eclipsed on this forum by it's longer brother.

damn_hammer

Enlightened
I received my Ti Preon I in the initial, numbered release, but am still not sure whether I like it or not. This was my first Ti light. I've cleaned, and lubed the threads several times, and they aren't what I'd call smooth. I've used 100% Kyrtox, and Nyogel ... the Kyrtox works better of the two. Also, as you mentioned it knicks, and scratches very easily. Yes, this can be buffed out reportedly, but I'm sure it would regain it's micro-scratch spiderweb patina in no time.

The Preon I in stainless steel, and a clip that stayed put, and didn't spin around when try to operate the twisty head would be a major upgrade in my opinion.

Some people have reported, and I believe 4Sevens advised that you should have the clip, or lanyard attachment in place for proper function. It sounds like you got lucky with using neither.

andrewnewman

Enlightened
To my thinking a SS Preon would be heavier than I like and just as prone to scratching. The micro-scratches you mention don't really bother me much. I suspect that the threads will never be completely smooth but I can live with that.

I actually believe that the clip and/or lanyard attachment detracts from this particular light's form and function. As the rear spring is easily removeable I figured that if the battery fit w/o either was too tight I could easily adjust or cut the spring. I don't think there is any "rocket surgery" involved (not that this was suggested)...

damn_hammer

Enlightened
Based on my experience with the LD01 SS, I believe SS would hold up much better then Ti to nicks and scratches. Yes, it would be heavier.

Now that I think of it, I might just be happier with an improved clip on an LD01 SS with a XP-G. The current clip on the LD01 is even worse then the Preon. I like that the LD01 comes on at medium, as it's the most used level for me, and that it seems to take Li-Ion 10440's w/out much problem (except heat).

Sorry if I went off topic too much.