Running a MagLed 4D module on 2xCR123

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I took a 2C Maglite that I had laying around and wanted to make a bright, dependable light to keep in my car. As much as I love the old-school Maglites, I've thrown out too many that have had the alkalines go south and jam themselves in the barrel of the light.

I bought a 4D MagLED module (I know there are better/brighter/more efficient modules), and put it in a 2C Maglite. I have a PVC spacer in the barrel (that I originally put together to run a 6D incan bulb on 3 CR123's) and have it running with 2 Surefire lithiums and a spacer made from aluminum rod wrapped in electrical tape. I've used it the past few days and it works fine, nice and bright.

Any danger to the module or to my well being running a 4cell MagLED on (2) 3-volt lithiums instead of (4) 1.5 volt alkalines? I'm using fresh Surefire batteries from the same box. Thanks!

Last edited:

RTTR

Newly Enlightened
I've tried it, even pushing my Maglite to well above 12v, the LED version is regulated at 3.3v, only danger is the same if not less brightness do to the linear regulator not keeping up and or burning up the regulator.

Running 2xCR123 (6v) shouldn't be an issue, but tests have actually shown it's brighter with 4.5v volts than anything, (3 alkaline cells)

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried it, even pushing my Maglite to well above 12v, the LED version is regulated at 3.3v, only danger is the same if not less brightness do to the linear regulator not keeping up and or burning up the regulator.

Yeah, except it's not a linear regulator. See Newbie's writeup for detailed information.

Running 2xCR123 (6v) shouldn't be an issue, but tests have actually shown it's brighter with 4.5v volts than anything, (3 alkaline cells)
Any link to those tests? Newbie plotted output power against voltage for the 3-cell, but I haven't seen any data on the 4 cell. Seems a little odd that it should get higher output at 4.5V, but I guess alkalines will spend most of their life in that area anyway...

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems a little odd that it should get higher output at 4.5V, but I guess alkalines will spend most of their life in that area anyway...

Yeah, I found that was the info on flashlightreviews too. More output from the 3-cell version! But since I had the CR123's, and I also use them for Surefires, I figured I'd standardize. I like the long shelf life and lighter weight of the lithiums combined with the LED module that's more resistant to rough handling than the stock bulb. A car light doesn't get used all the time, but when it does, you need it to work!

Thanks for the info. I put a lanyard on it (the Surefire lanyard ring that fits on the bezel end of the 6P/C2/Z2/G2 works perfectly on the tailcap of a C-cell Maglite) and the rubber hexagonal lens ring protector thing on the head. Right now, it's in the map pocket of the door. Trying to come up with a cool way to mount it in my 2009 Outback wagon. A car like that needs a cool light.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I found that was the info on flashlightreviews too. More output from the 3-cell version!
The 3-cell version isn't the same as the 4-cell version -- I know the 3-cell version gets more output from 3 cells than the 4-cell version does from 4 cells, but that doesn't imply that you'll get more output running the 4-cell version on 4.5V, much less on 3 alkaline cells (which will only be 4.5V at the very start of a run).