MG-PLI Alternative

Casebrius

Newly Enlightened
Shining Beam does not have MG PLI's available right now. I bought one and have been impressed with it. What is a good reliable single 18650 alternative to this light (based on cost and lumens).

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's kind of hard to find another that matches PLI's cost per lumen in a nice package. Offhand, only one I can think of is Solarforce L2/L2P with the SST-50 or MC-E drop-in. Of course, MG L-Mini with MC-E is sweeter... :naughty:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
The pli is not available currently because they are coming out with a new model soon with the sst-50. I would just wait for that, I know I am.

joe1512

Enlightened
I went with an XTAR Outrider. Got mine for 70 bucks, vs the 100 they want now. Its a nice sst-50 light that can be used with 1 or 2 18650 and has great quality. (comes with extender tube).

Another good choice is an itp A6 Polestar. For 30 bucks you can get a Eneloop rechargable pack with a charger, 8AA, 2AAA. You can use the extra batteries around the house for your other electronics. So unless you already have an 18650 and charger, I'd go with that option.

It was surprisingly small when I got it, has a good beam, nice flood, high output. I think it is quite similar to the MG PLI which has been unobtainable for as long as Ive been here. I was going to get one myself many months ago and gave up.

Another option is an itp A1 EOS. By using a single RCR123 (4.2V), you can get a lot of lumens from a tiny package. It has 3 modes, rated at 203 lumens (with a 3.0V CR123) and fits on your keychain. Unless you really need the bigger light, Id go with this. In retrospect, this is what I should have done.

Last edited:

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really? I was really annoyed when i went on to shiningbeam and found they werent selling them anymore, do you know when the SST-50 model will be out?

wapkil

Enlightened
Really? I was really annoyed when i went on to shiningbeam and found they werent selling them anymore, do you know when the SST-50 model will be out?

AFAIR in February Bryan expected them to be available in the second half of March. I'm sure that if there are any news, Bryan will post them in the CPFMP MG PLI thread.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, i'm not sure if this is slightly off topic, but does anyone know anywhere i can get the MG L-mini, as shiningbeam doesnt have it listed anymore..

apontes

Newly Enlightened
Same deal.

Currently out-of-stock. There's probably a new batch coming in soon. And it will sell out pretty fast.

Just keep checking regularly. In the CPFMP threads, Bryan usually gives a ballpark date as to when they will be coming.

wapkil

Enlightened
The new L-Mini will also most probably use the same driver board but with an XP-G LED.

wapkil

Enlightened
I don't know if someone is interested but I just saw that there is one black PLI on B/S/T now.

Latest posts