Low output *best* EDC 123 light?

zoltar

Newly Enlightened
This may be a tough order, as I'm kinda fussy, but here it goes... ! I'm looking for a simple, indestructible (machined aluminum), long battery life, wide spill, single CR123 light that I use to roam around w/o wrecking my night time vision. Not looking for multi-functions (Quark, etc) settings for this kind of a light. To conceptualize, something like an Inova X-5 (one of my fav lights still) but single 123 and single LED. Thanks for your help!

RTTR

Newly Enlightened
You really should consider the Quark, multi function aside it has amazing low modes and excellent spill, I've only had mine for a week and it never leaves my hip (apart from using it of course)

carrot

Flashaholic
Try the Peak Logan. You can custom order them to whatever output level you like, in stainless, brass or hard anodized aluminum, and they are single mode, like your Inova X5. The beam should be fairly similar to that of the X5 due to the type of optic they are using. Peaks have rock solid reliability and durability and are made in the USA.

Here is the info page on the Logan, it may look kind of shady but I swear it is 100% legit. Give them a call if you need to place a special order. http://www.em-mgt.com/LED/Logan.html

ptolemy

Enlightened
try nitecore ex10

just press button and it'll chance modes, dont need clicking....
simple, small, effective

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I wouldn't call it indestructible, but the LiteFlux LF3XT can be set up for one mode at any level you like down to less than one lumen. Click on, click off. If you want a momentary high it's just a push-hold away. Later, if you choose, change it to up to five levels or strobes/beacons. And five clicks will tell you the voltage of your battery. Simple or complex in one package.

Geoff

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
If you're after a budget go the Quark 123 R5 way.
If you look for the best Ra-Clicky: 0.07Lm/0.08Lm min the 140/170 models and the most perfect beams and tints evr.
I've my RaClicky Executive 140Wide beam on sale right now :whistle:

Last edited:

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire T1A for the lowest low. I use it everynight- amazing how low it goes.:thumbsup:

If you pick one up in the used market price is tolerable. Seen them as low as $125.00

zoltar

Newly Enlightened
Wow, thanks for all the responses! Is Quark made in USA? I should have added, "Made in USA" (although I guess the LED's are not, but that's fine). It's some much stuff is made in you-know-where ville. I orginally was thinking of adding, "not super expensive" to my list, but I could change my mind on that, since a really good light will last a very long time.

Scarbear

Newly Enlightened
No, Quarks are made in China.....but they are very good.

if you want a "build in usa" light you have to go with peak, surefire, hds and some novatac (there are models build in usa and some build elsewhere)

regards Olaf

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire T1A for the lowest low. I use it everynight- amazing how low it goes.:thumbsup:

If you pick one up in the used market price is tolerable. Seen them as low as $125.00

+1 This was the first light that came to mind when I read the OP's description of what he is looking for. I use my T1A at night as well and the lowest setting is REALLY quite low. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Honestly, it pretty much fits your description perfectly. USA built, long runtime, very low-low (fully adjustable though), rather floody beam, SF's excellent build quality, aluminum machined, and simple user interface (it can't hardly get any simpler than twisting the head to ramp up from 0-70 lumens).

-Robert

RTTR

Newly Enlightened
There is honsetly no reason to worry about where a light is made, keep with the trusted brands talked about on CPF and you will have no problem, sure 4Sevens are made in China, with parts made in China, USA, and Malaysia just like about every flashlight in the world. But the quality of them is right up there with Surefire and others I've used. The main key is I like to stick with brands that are at least BASED in the US, like 4Sevens for example, which makes it a lot easier if a problem may come up.

If you insist on having a light "made" in America, the recommendations here are excellent. I just think you can get a lot more bang for the buck out of a Quark Tactical for your needs than some others recommended, that's my thought, I'm not expert but I did a lot of shopping around before landing on mine, and I was in a similar situation.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The EX10 should be perfect for your usage. You can set it to low and it will memorize the mode. So next time you turn it on it will have the same brightness. Really like the light. I'm edcing it now since it came out.

rayman

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
+1 more for quark, i use it on hi every night on the way back to my living area, and loosen the bezel for low once i get inside so as to not disturb my roomie, i use it on medium while i'm running so that cars don't run me down, i recharge the battery once every 4-5 days. Its the older version quark regular 123 (had to have the tailstand) so i'm rockin an XPE emitter, (i have the XPG in my titanium) you may not want those other modes now, but you'd rather have them and not need them than vice versa.

USACelt

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased a Quark 123 regular with newer XPG led and I love it. The moonlight mode is great. The turbo is awesome, very floody. One of my first LED lights was a Dorcy model 41-4262. It's only 45 lumens, but fills a room with light. had mine for years, works great. Best thing about the Dorcy is the 21 dollar price tag. Another thought considering your night vision stipulation, might be one of 4Sevens Preon lights with a red chapstick cap. It makes a great red filter, clears ones can be used as diffusers.

Last edited: