Am I doing something wrong? Olight M30 & batteries.

Combatvet

Banned
Recently I purchased 2 Olight M30's, one for me and one for my sister (a rookie police officer). I wanted to try rechargeable batteries before I sink money into a few sets. I bought 2 Ultrafire 18500's and I installed them into the Olight M30. The problem is the light will not work, even though the batteries are charged. Is there a procedure to this + to -, + to +, i'm stumped.

Thank you

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on the M-30 (s). I think it's ideal for LEO duty, good choice.

Have you tried 3 CR123s?

Where did you buy it? If it's a 'known-trusted ' dealer here at CPF you should be ok.

carrot

Flashaholic
You should do the usual, such as testing with other batteries, trying a paper clip instead of the tailcap, and swearing at it.

Combatvet

Banned
The light does work with CR123's. I bought it from an Olight Dist. I'll check to see if they are a site supporter.

Thanks for the quick replies. A paper clip eh.:thinking:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
do the ultrafire batteries have positive tips on them or are they flat? You may need battery magnets to make sure they complete the circuit physically. Some batteries don't quite fit and make the termination to the positive end inside the flashlight because they don't have the positive tip or it doesn't stick out enough. Flat batteries need magnets to make a good connection between each other. You need to look at what batteries you actually have and just how well they fit into the light and also contact each other.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
re: paperclip - insert cells properly. Then instead of using tail-cap,
get something metal and conductive (the paperclip, 2 DMM probes, metal tweezers) and with the metal bridge the -'ve contact at the bottom of the battery --> to the un-anodized portion of the battery tube.
You are trying to complete the electrical circuit. IF you can do this with metal object you have proven the light works with the batteries and the fault is with tailcap / cell connection to tailcap.

IF light doesn't light with metal short (paper clip) then the problem likely is the batteries.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the opportunity to do yourself a favor and invest in some AW cells. If I remember your original thread when you decided on the M30 the AW was highly suggested IIRC, it's ok though it's best to learn through first hand experience although more expensive.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like the batteries are DOA, Ebay strikes again.

did you charge them up yourself or "assumed" they came charged, your posts don't make that clear? What charger are you using to charge these 18500's? Do you have a voltmeter to double check the charge after the charger says they are done with whatever indicator it uses (assuming again you are charging them)?

If they are taking a charge they should read better than 4.1 something volts on the voltmeter after the charge with no other load across them than the meter itself. If you say you don't have a voltmeter also, shame on you. :ohgeez: