SF X300 Vs Streamlight TLR-1

DanTSX

Newly Enlightened
Looking between these two to mount to my FNP-45. I actually do carry this gigantic beast occasionally (15+1 .45ACP :xyxgun::devil:), so the need to remove the light is there. I am good with the specs between both lights and the quality. My big question is, which is better suited for frequent removal and replacement, and what is the mechanism for attaching the light to the firearm?

Obviously the Streamlight uses a screw-on type mechanism. I would imagine that this is slow, but does not take very long to accomplish. I can handle a 2-3 minute procedure, but don't want to spend 20 minutes attaching the light when I take it off my belt and put the light on it for the night.

Is the SF a simple latch type design?

I may also occasionally locate the light to my AR-15 when I go to our place down at the shore. I am thinking that the X300 is better suited to throw due to the TIR optic. If I go with the TLR-1 for the pistol, I will come up with another solution for the AR. Probably just do my 6PL mounted with a Malkoff drop-in.

Thanks folks!

DanTSX

Newly Enlightened
Looking between these two to mount to my FNP-45. I actually do carry this gigantic beast occasionally (15+1 .45ACP :xyxgun::devil:), so the need to remove the light is there. I am good with the specs between both lights and the quality. My big question is, which is better suited for frequent removal and replacement, and what is the mechanism for attaching the light to the firearm?

Obviously the Streamlight uses a screw-on type mechanism. I would imagine that this is slow, but does not take very long to accomplish. I can handle a 2-3 minute procedure, but don't want to spend 20 minutes attaching the light when I take it off my belt and put the light on it for the night.

Is the SF a simple latch type design that would make it worth the extra $100 more than the TLR-1? If they are equal in their difficulty to remove and replace, I'll just get the streamlight and save the money. If the SF is that much easier, then the choice is easy.

I may also occasionally locate the light to my AR-15 when I go to our place down at the shore. I am thinking that the X300 is better suited to throw due to the TIR optic. If I go with the TLR-1 for the pistol, I will come up with another solution for the AR. Probably just do my 6PL mounted with a Malkoff drop-in.

Thanks folks!

supes

Enlightened
Surefire X300 uses the "rail clamp" system with a pull down tab on each side. There is a more permanent option included in the package to lock the latch in place, requiring extra effort and time to remove. www.surefire.com/HandgunWeaponLights

The X300 is not only brighter, but also less bulky and more streamline than your TLR-1. X300 also has options for alternative switching methods. Since you carry that beast, the TLR-1's size doesn't seem to be a problem.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can take my X300 off in about 2 seconds & it has been rock solid after about 2000 rounds of 9mm.

CDP930

Newly Enlightened
I have a TLR 1 that I have had for over a year, been wanting to try the upgraded version with the C4 bulb in it. I would like to get a X300 but being blessed left handed and carrying an odd ball weapon (S&W MP 45) holster options really arent open for me. (took Safariland 3 months to get me the one I carry now).

Its a good budget light. As far as AR mounting, I was never really fond of using the paddle switch the TRL has if you mount it at the 9 or 3 oclock position. You have the right idea, throw a regular light on your rifle.

Latest posts