Anything better then Fenix TK40?

bored7one4

Newly Enlightened
I like the TK40 alot becuase of its 8 cell AA. Is there anything else out there that is as bright and use the same cell format?

thanks

bedazzLED

Enlightened
Hi.

The iTP Polestar runs on 6 AA's and is around 700 lumens.

Then you move down a few notches and encounter a few more AA format torches worth mentioning but not as bright.

The iTP SA2 Eluma, 4Sevens Quark AAx2 Turbo, Fenix TK20, Fenix LD20, Eagletac P10A2, Olight I25, Nitecore D20, ..., even the LED Lenser P14 for something that is focusable and reasonably big and bright.

Many more AA torches, but not too many 8xAA torches as good as the TK40.

joe1512

Enlightened
What do you mean by better?

700 lumens is quite a bit and there is no AA light other than the itp Polestar that is even close.

All other AA lights max out at around 200ish lumens so arent in the same league.

I guess the question is: What exactly do you want? MORE brightness? Do you have a TK40 already? No, I think the TK40 is the best AA light available based on the many reviews Ive read. (I have an itp A6 polestar at half the price).

The only step up is going to be a HID light, or something like the XTAR Howitzer or Olight SR90. Those all use 18650s or a specialized battery pack...certainly not AAs. They cost a fortune too and have little utility; who really NEEDS a 2000 lumen spotlight anyways?

357mag1

Enlightened
Joe,

You forgot the Wolfeyes AK6 rated at 650 lumens and using 6 AA batteries. It should be close but one would be hard pressed to find a better AA light than the TK40 when it comes to quanity of output and quality of the beam.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Note that the lumen ratings from the manufacturers are hardly ever accurate. On paper the TK40 is rated to put out 630 lumens, but as shown in Bigchellis' thread, it actually puts out about 550 lumens. That doesn't mean that it's not a heck of a bright light because it most certainly is, but just don't take those factory ratings (like the 700 lumen rating mentioned in this thread or the TK45's 700-something rating) *too* seriously.

In the video filmed in the Fenix booth at the 2010 SHOT Show, the TK45 certainly does appear to be brighter than the TK40 though.

Before making any purchase for a large AA powered light, I would suggest waiting until the TK45 comes out and more reviews are posted here in CPF. It may rewrite the world of AA powered lights like the TK40 did.

The Shang

Newly Enlightened
Joe1512 I think you are talking to the wrong people when you say. "Who really needs _____ light?" Who here really needs half the stuff they buy? It's all part of the fun. :grin2:

PolarBearX

Newly Enlightened
the tk40 fills so much utility role...it raises the bar really high, especially for us AA lubbers...the tk45 is nice, but the tk40 was the better balance overall to me... the 45 isnt totally an evolution of the 40, its a different form and clicky...the small lumen increase aside...I scored mine under 120 shipped too...so for this quality over the polestar for a little more, no brainer.

PBX

McAllan

Enlightened
I believe it's 760 lumens.

Sounds more powerful than it's really perceived. Like most of humans senses eyesight is logaritmic. So don't expect there to be a world of difference from the TK40 by means of light out put. However better throw can make a world of difference at a distance as hot spot is then brighter but smaller.

For those who got say the TK40 and a LD10 try the following. Turn on the TK40 in turbo mode. Then the LD10 in turbo mode. Did you notice much of a difference? Only very subtle if any even though available light has gone from 630 lm to 750 lm.

joe1512

Enlightened
Joe1512 I think you are talking to the wrong people when you say. "Who really needs _____ light?" Who here really needs half the stuff they buy? It's all part of the fun. :grin2:

Well, that is kind of true. That said, if I can help people to put their limited money in the right place, or reconsider their wants/needs, then Ill call it a win.

I was in the same boat. I honestly didnt know what I wanted when I first arrived and many helpful people prodded me in the right direction, or at least made me reconsider exactly what my wants were and why I wanted them.

I think it is worth pointing out that no reasonable light will appear to be significantly brighter than the TK40. If he already has a bright light and wants more, then he definitely needs a HID or 2000ish lumen specialty light. But, if he is all theorycraft like I was, then he needs to realize that plus or minus a hundred lumens or so really doesn't make much difference.

Pandorum

Newly Enlightened
Sounds more powerful than it's really perceived. Like most of humans senses eyesight is logaritmic. So don't expect there to be a world of difference from the TK40 by means of light out put. However better throw can make a world of difference at a distance as hot spot is then brighter but smaller.

For those who got say the TK40 and a LD10 try the following. Turn on the TK40 in turbo mode. Then the LD10 in turbo mode. Did you notice much of a difference? Only very subtle if any even though available light has gone from 630 lm to 750 lm.

There's a casual side by side comparison in this 2010 Shotshow video. There appears to be a noticable brightness difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUmNd08xbDI

He also said that there is no turbo limit due to heat on the TK45 which is a significant plus in my book. :thumbsup:

Last edited: