What do you mostly use your flashlight for?

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
I only use mine when im in my garage at night, or in my backyard. And occasionally when I go camping or going to the desert over night. Thats pretty much it. If I had a daily use for it I would definitely shell out a lot of cash for a really nice light. But for now, im just going to stick with my simple p7 3D Maglite, and my Ultrafire 18650.

What do you use your flashlight for?

Max_Power

Enlightened
I only use mine when im in my garage at night, or in my backyard. And occasionally when I go camping or going to the desert over night. Thats pretty much it. If I had a daily use for it I would definitely shell out a lot of cash for a really nice light. But for now, im just going to stick with my simple p7 3D Maglite, and my Ultrafire 18650.

All those things and much more. I use my light at work to quickly read server labels through smoked plexiglass cabinet doors, read fine print serial numbers on servers in racks and other dimly lit places, cable tracing (often under a desk or raised floor), finding small parts that have fallen on the floor (some were first launched at high speed across the room :), Walking in parking lots/streets to see where my feet are going as well as to visually announce myself to maniacal 'toon vehicles, assembling/cleaning/maintaining/shooting guns. My bathroom light is slaved to an exhaust fan, so I usually leave it off and use flashlight ceiling bounce instead. Preserves night vision too.

I have found that cars usually respond best when I point my 200-400 lumen light at the ground and swing my arms naturally while walking. The moving spot of light really grabs attention without being aggressive, and they can more easily guage distance to the lit area than if I point the light directly at them. However, some drivers are too busy with their cell phone or other distractions, and a good photon torpedo is required to get them to look outside the cockpit "OMG a truck must be pointing at me!"

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
Taking out the trash, walking at night, looking in dark areas, checking around campsites...

And today, a slightly new usage... I used my EDC to check inside a drop-box to see if the lab reports had been collected yet as I was handing mine in late. The box was full of reports! :party:

Ian2381

Enlightened
Around the house at night, when I go home at night and in occasional camping and backpacking trips.

If there are no other reasons, I make one.:whistle:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The normal day to day (or night to night) needs that everyone has, but mostly wandering around the house and yard where normal folks would just flip a light switch. Late night reading in bed or listening to the radio are also a time when the flashlights come on. And there's nothing better than a bright flashlight for finding that contact lens you dropped on the floor.

Geoff

Databyter

Enlightened
At work (I work nights) I use it to light just about everything you could imagine. Sometimes I need a dimmed LED to read some fine print, Sometimes I need a spot to light a field, sometimes I need a bright flood to light the side of a bldg or alley.

I also take about 100 pictures a night and having a good light makes for a superior picture.

pilote

Newly Enlightened

that pretty much sums it up for me too...i don't really edc one either, though there is a cheap aaa led penlight in laptop briefcase or backpack when i'm out on assignment...

and having said that, i got the best gear to use when i do need it: g2 and g2z's with m60/m60L/m60LF/m60LL, a c3 with a m60 mc-e, a 2d mag (malkoff)...

the g2 m60LL is the only one with batteries because it's the only one that gets used with any regularity...

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
mostly, i like to annoy my wife and pets.

But seriously, I'm a caver and super bright flashlights are a necessity.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do I use my lights for? Anything and everything I possibly can, I just look for a reason. Give me a opening and BAM let their be light.

This is so true! I'm definitely guilty of this as well. :D

It's amazing how often a flashlight comes in handy when you always have one with you. This seems to be something that the "unenlightened" don't understand.

-Robert

The Hawk

Enlightened
I keep a flashlight near the basement stairs and use that rather than turning on basement lights if I am just making a quick trip.
Of course there are many other uses, but I seem to make several trips to the basement daily.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mainly use my flashlight for call my cat before going to bed ;). I use this occasion to test my lights so I always take another flashlight.

rayman

drifts1

Newly Enlightened
According to my wife and daughter I mostly signal aliens at night. :candle:

Jethro

Newly Enlightened
What don't I use it for?

At work: I work in commercial construction as a project manager and I use it all the time when I am on a job site and have to look above the ceiling tiles or in a section of the building that the sparky hasn't wired up for temp lights. I also do a lot of walkthroughs for potential jobs I need to put estimates on and often times these buildings are dilapidated spaces with no power or lighting, so having the sun in my pocket has an amazing value to me.

At play: I spend a lot of my free time during the winter on a snowmobile, approx. 3000 miles a season. A good many of these miles are during the long winter nights and when we stop to take a break, or one of the machines breaks, I have my torch burning. In the summer I do a lot of fishing and often on the lake before dawn or after sunset, so I use it all the time there. Also we do a lot of camping and a killer light is invaluable there.

At home: Just this past week we had a 3 day power outage at my house due to a nasty windstorm- real happy to have a good light on me. I also use it to check on the dog in our large, fenced in back yard. I'll also use it to annoy the wife to no end which is one of my favorite pastimes.

My light is a Surefire LX2.

noisebeam

Newly Enlightened
99% - Cycling headlight
1% - Harvesting vegetables in the garden after work
0% - As emergency light when camping/hiking (I had yet to use it as I prefer no light or candlelantern)

TheChief

Newly Enlightened
I work security and emergency services at an industrial facility and half the time I work it is night shifts, so a good light is essential. Making security patrols, getting out of the vehicle to check something out in a dark area, my light gets used several times a night. Also great for lighting up the deer population that lives in the wooded acreage of our property :D

On my days off, I'm a volunteer fire chief/EMT and I always have one of my better lights standing by on the dresser. When I get paged out to a call at night it goes in my pocket as I'm leaving and almost always gets used on the emergency scene.

I carry a regular holster-sized light at work (currently a Streamlight Strion LED) and a smaller AAA light for daily carry (which is also clipped in my shirt pocket when I'm at work).

That in addition to the usual household applications, and whatever other excuse I can find to use one :thumbsup: