Weird NewBeam ?

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I left my NewBeam on running the batteries very low when I looked at the three LED's two where still on but the third was totally dark?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
This is perfectly normal for the NewBeam or any other LED flashlight using more than 1 LED.

The "dead" LED has a slightly higher Vf requirement than the two still glowing. Again, this is normal and does not in any way indicate a problem with your NewBeam.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does that mean that the higher Vf LED is dimmer than the other two, when all three are on?

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed this a few nights ago, when I put my girlfriend's Opalec in my MMM (one AA cell).
The red LED was lit, and two of the whites were very dimly lit.

It seems logical to assume that the two lit may be brighter than the non-lit one.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
If the NewBeam is in regulation (red LED is not on) they should all be about the same brightness.
I say "about" because there are always small differences between LEDs, even from the same batch or bin number. If you view ANY multiple LED flashlight through welding goggles or similar, you'll see different brightnesses of each LED even with new batteries.