Is anyone disappointed in their RL-2088 (18W Osram 3 x 18650)

GTSECC

Newly Enlightened
Thhinking about pulling the trigger onthis one.
It came out almost a year ago, have we made another leap in tech since then?

chef4850

Enlightened
I have this light and am very happy with it. Very bright and well made light IMHO. The holster that it came with is very nice as well. Not very EDCable. About the thickness of a beer can and a little longer but great overall light. I think it looks as bright as the d30 howitzer with more throw and less spill. Hope this helps>

Chef

mmbeller191

Newly Enlightened
I recommended it to a fellow officer who carries it as a primary duty light. He loves it and it is brighter than anything around unless you talk about the SR90 and Howitzer which are bigger and cost much more. I think this is a very well built light and built to a higher standard than a budget Ultrafire light. If you are looking for something brighter than a P7 or MCE light then I think its only competition is one of the Maelstrom lights expected to be introduced by 4Sevens like the S1200 or S1800. Don't know what pricing will be like on those yet though I seriously doubt it will be as inexpensive as the RL-2088. So I say go for it.

enots

Newly Enlightened
Does the RL-2088 have enough throw to light up a person for identification from 100 yards?

Tora

Newly Enlightened
Look at the photos in the above post from 80 yds. and also realize that it was not even pitch black - ambient light from street lights and such were in play. This light excels at flood lighting in close to medium distances. From 100 yds. - yes you can. Could you light a person much better at that distance with a dedicated thrower such as the RRT - 1 - yes. ;)

GTSECC

Newly Enlightened
I just got mine.
Something must be wrong - my Quark Mini 123 is brighter.
Ideas?
Is there a level switch I have not figured out or something?

GTSECC

Newly Enlightened
Still, a Quark Mini 123 is amazingly close, with 1/6th the battery and 1/100th the size.

Tora

Newly Enlightened
No way - I have the RL-2088. Try it outside in the dark to light up large areas in the distance. I use mine at work every night. The 2088 for flood and the Raptor - 1 for tight spot in the distance.

GTSECC

Newly Enlightened
So how close is the quark when you have the Ultrafire on high? ;)
Quark Mini 123 with RCR123 on high is rediculously bright, and surprisingly close in brightness to the RL-2088, at least in percieved brightness at certain ranges. However, over distance, the RL-2088 pulls ahead.

Cheapskate

Enlightened
My wife has a 123 and I have played around with a friends 2088. I wouldn't have said they were even remotely close, but maybe that's just my perception.

The thing that amazed me was the tremendous flood coverage, making it a real area light, and the ability to still punch out to a good distance.

When my friend and I were playing around, we did some comparisons, and the 2088 absolutely blew away his MTE SSC P7. Mr G-Man has tested that particular light with his integrating sphere and got a reading of 478.5 lumens.

Here are a couple of comparison shots from when we were playing around; The first shot is the MCE, the second is the 2088:

MTEsscP7-C.jpg

UltraFireRL-2088.jpg

I don't think even three MCE's together would have matched the 2088.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
that osram ostar, while impressive, is pretty inefficient.. hm. I wonder how an sst50 swap in there would work.

Latest posts