Would this schematic work? (3 boards in parallel)

Cavelightchris

Newly Enlightened
Here is what I was thinking:

P7 C bin http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=1761
3 of these 800mAh single mode drivers: sku.3256
3 of these switches: sku.5602

I was going to make a caving light out of them, and my theory is this: if 1 or 2 or your switches or drivers brakes, you still have a third backup.

I also figured this setup would give me 3 different levels of brightness and 2400 mAh on max, right?

What I fear is that you have to run all of them at the same time for this setup to work, and that I won't get the option of having redundancy or the 3 multimodes...

wriaeh.jpg

Last edited:

Cavelightchris

Newly Enlightened
I thought that was a C-bin, o well it seems like you are hijacking my thread and it's the very first reply lol (thanks for the tip though). Well I changed it to a C-bin.

The question still remains, will this schematic work?

Last edited:

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
The drivers may not operate well in parallel like that, it depends on the design of the driver itself. You may wish to add diodes to make sure that voltage is only outgoing from each driver.

It's a bit of a strange design, but that's not to say it won't work.

Apollo Cree

Enlightened
I have my doubts without knowing more about the internal design of the drivers. The drivers are designed to drive a "simple" LED load that will tend to have a certain voltage/current pattern. With your hookup, they'd be driving a LED and the output of another regulator.

As one driver tries to adjust the voltage to control the current through that driver, the other regulator would be adjusting the voltage to adjust the current through that driver. This could cause the circuits to oscillate. I also don't know what the driver will do if it's trying to drive its output to 4V and the other driver is trying to drive its output to 4.1 V.

Anything from smooth operation to smoke and flames is possible.