7x cree xp-g R5 build

LED4LYF

Newly Enlightened
I am currently in the proscess of building a flashlight using seven cree xp-g R5 bin LEDs, and seven Tenergy 3.7v 2600maH Li-ion cylindrical batteries.

I am a little confused on the information I have been reading on the specs of the LED. I want to run all seven at full brilliance(I think 1amp?). So if there forward voltage is 3.2-3.4V and I hook up the LED to one of my batteries along with a 2W 2ohm resistor is the LED going to get the full 1 amp? I guess what I am trying to say is will an LED use full amperage strainght from a battery or do I have to use some sort of driver to push it to full brilliance?

Also I am not sure how to configure my cells? I heard parallel is not a good way because of charging issues. Should I series them for a higher voltage?
I am kind of confused, so any help would be nice.

1. How should I configure my battery pack? What voltage to use?

2. Use resistors or an led driver that will handle seven xp-gs at 1 amp?

3. Also how to configure my leds?

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Use either 3 series or 4 series, do not use parallel on li-ion. I don't recommend Tenergy batteries because their spec are way off, worse than DX cells, my ultrafire 2200 performed better than my tenergy "2600mAh".

2. If you want to wire 7 Leds, dont use resistor, but a proper driving board instead. The blueshark can drive 7 XPGs with a power source of 3 or 4 li-ion cells, both wired in series. The blueshark is s boost driver, this means that battery must be at least 1/2 the volts than what the leds takes, that is around 22.5v. the Vin cannot be higher than the Vf.

I made a thread asking about the driving board for this same setup, take a look https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3297402#post3297402

3. Wire the leds in series. You can buy 7 separate leds or you can buy a complete board with leds already soldered from www.cutter.com.au most of us get the emitters and optics from there.