magled 2xAA

edison

Enlightened
I bought one of the new rebel minimags awhile back and I've been searching the forum without much luck. There are so many threads on common lights like these.

I came across one post about putting the rebel pill from a 2D mag-led in the minimag.... has anyone tried this? What were your results?

Please direct me to any good threads on this light ya'll might be subscribed to. Thanks.

wingnut86

Banned
I tried it out like that once, it was noticeably brighter, but would have been to harsh on alkalines. Nimh would be fine. the 2D magled module is rated at something like 114 lumens. I then returned the 2D and bought a SF G2, and put the minimag led back to stock...

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it would be fine on NiMH or lithium primary, but the question is whether or not it's worth it. If you have a need for both lights and don't mind losing multi-mode on the 2AA, it won't hurt.

I personally won't do it though. The 2AA on lithium primary is plenty bright, which ironically makes the 25% low mode quite useful at times.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Yep.

I probably run mine on Low-power setting 90%+ of the time.

This is a Very Usable flashlight. :thumbsup:

Now consider, i got mine at Home Depot,
on sale at $9.88.

:twothumbs

_

edison

Enlightened
From the packaging it looks like the LED 2D mag (rebel) is just on/off without any modes.

Is this correct?

What kind of runtime does the pill from the LED 2D get on 2xAA lithium or NiMH?

Actually, I haven't even been able to find a runtime plot for the new rebel minimag in stock form. Can anyone post a link?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the 2D is just on/off.

I don't think anyone's ever done it. I get about 3-4 hours on high from a set of Duraloops to the point where dimming is noticeable.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a minimag with 2D pill next to me right now. I added a glass window and diffuser film and it's my go to around house light.

Running it on duraloop, about 2 hour runtime on each charge, current draw is north of 1 amp so alkaline won't work. The module contact body tube directly so heatsinking is actually better than D mag.

Last edited:

elumen8

Enlightened
I have the 2AA and 2D pills switched and like the combination... but I wouldn't recommend switching the pills unless you really need the change in modes. I put the 2AA in my camera bag to help with lighting small objects. I only need the single mode for taking photos because I'm constantly turning on and off the light. I put the 'multi-mode' 2D under the seat of one of my Jeeps.

The runtime on the switched 2AA is shorter but the runtime on the switched 2D seems to last forever. IMHO the nominal increase in brightness for the 2AA isn't worth making the switch. I have several 2AA and 2D 'loaner lights' that remain stock.

Here are a couple threads with good information

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/221793

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/221231

JB

edison

Enlightened
Thank you elumen8, those two threads helped a lot. :)

A big thank you to all the others that posted too. I appreciate all the help. :)

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, all you need to do is just push down and it'll come out. The black plastic ring around it is a retainer.

GPB

Enlightened
I picked up a few of the mini mags when they first came out and LOVED them. Since I loved them at $27.00 each, when I saw them at $10.00 I went crazy. I also did the pill switch and I like having a brighter mini mag and I like having a 2D that will run forever on low. The 2D pill in the minimag is seriously bright. It's great because I can now bring all my gadgets with me and just carry AA batteries. ( GPS, digital camera, cell phone charger, VHF radio, and flashlight ) The lights are durable, dependable and domestic.

Edison: did you have a specific question you were looking for an answer to ?

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased a pewter grey Mini-MagLED that has the older style tailcap design that is compatible with older style Mini-MagLite aftermarket tailcaps. I swapped the module with the one out of my 2D Rebel MagLED and I put a Nite-Ize IQ tailcap switch on it. I now have high, medium, low, and flash modes on my Rebel Mini-MagLED and I really like it that way. I run it on a pair of Energizer 2800MAh NiMH cells and I can potentially get about 2 hours of run time on those cells on high, though I have not tried it, yet, due to the flashlight getting really hot. With a standard tailcap I get 1600mA drawn from the cells. With the IQ tailcap on high I get 1400mA. On medium it's 700mA and 350mA on low. The standard Rebel Mini-MagLED module draws 350mA on the same cells on high. Yes, the IQ tailcap reduces the current draw from the batteries by 200mA, though it does not translate into less output from the LED.