Hate to do it...but I need some advice!

swsccassidy

Newly Enlightened
Alrighty fellas, I need some guidance here. My cousins are turning 18 this month and we're going backpacking shortly after. I asked them what they wanted...bless their little hearts, they wanted lights for their b day! :twothumbs

So here I am, totally overwhelmed. At first I thought something like an itp a3 or a2 so that they'll be more likely to edc it. They do a fair bit of hiking so battery life over output is probably a preference. Modes would be nice, whether it be clicky or twisty, but not totally necessary. The UI should be fairly simple, as well as battery type (AA or AAA). It doesn't have to be aluminum, but something somewhat element resistant with o-rings. Then I thought of Target, they're having a sale on inova's right now, but I've never had any experience with those. So here I am, with a ~$20-25 budget PER light. Maybe something from shiningbeam, one of the rominsens or something. :confused: I just need it by the middle of this month (march), so no DX lights (I'm in California, last order took 3 weeks). And does anybody know if the clip on the itp a3 can be moved to the head of the light as to be clipped on the brim of a hat and used as an impromptu headlight? I'm open to anything, any input is greatly appreciated!

carrot

Flashaholic
Leatherman Serac S2.

Designed by Leatherman and made for Leatherman by Fenix.

Three modes, Low-Med-High, with a click switch, a stainless bezel for durability, a reversible clip. Water resistant and and overall really nice looking. Fenix has a good track record for reliability as well.

Can be found for $30/ea, so slightly over your budget but they are real winners.

Apollo Cree

Enlightened
It doesn't look like the A3 clip could be moved to the front end.

I like the A3, but if you run it on high, the battery doesn't last long. You'd need the multimode and the kids would have to have the discipline to run it on low or only use it for short periods of time.

Plus carry spares.

Toaster

Enlightened
If this is to be their only light a 2xAA makes much more sense. I would hate to get stuck in the brush with nothing but a 1xAAA light to guide me out. I'm sure you can find plenty of choices in the Budget Lights forum.

duboost

Enlightened
It doesn't look like the A3 clip could be moved to the front end.
The clip can be reversed and put on the head although it will scratch up the light if that matters at all. Also since the head is a bit wider than where the clip sits on the tail, it tends to stretch out the clip so thats its loose when u put it back. So you have to press it together with your fingers so it will be tighter back on the tail end. Also i don't feel the clip is very secure to begin with. I have 2 A3's and one of them i had the clip pop off and get lost somewhere because i think it got caught on something. So if you're using it to just clip the light to a bill of a hat, it should be fine, but i probably wouldn't clip it to my pack while hiking and hope to see it at the end of the day.

But besides the clip issue, its a great little light for the money. Although I'd probably go with the A2 over the A3

swsccassidy

Newly Enlightened
The more I think about it, the more a two cell light makes sense. More runtime with (optional) higher output. The leatherman light looks nice, I'll take a look into that. I'll have to do some more research, thanks for the advice so far. If I do get them a smaller light like an itp a2 or something, I've got enough higher output/longer running lights that they can use for the trip. Spares and multiple lights aren't an issue, it's their first trip so we aren't going to far and don't need to pack much. You can bet I'll have the campsite all lit up anyway :naughty:

swsccassidy

Newly Enlightened
But besides the clip issue, its a great little light for the money. Although I'd probably go with the A2 over the A3

Thats just what I was looking for, thanks! And it wouldn't be clipped, it would be inside the pack. I'm going to keep digging, thanks for the input so far!

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
itp AA, 3 modes l-m-high. tough reliable, carry a few extra AAs and your good for days. (well nights technically) anything cheaper and quality control is an issue.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leatherman Serac S2.

Designed by Leatherman and made for Leatherman by Fenix.

Three modes, Low-Med-High, with a click switch, a stainless bezel for durability, a reversible clip....rs.

Hi Carrot,

Right link, wrong model. I think you mean the S3. The S2 is the AAA light with 2 modes. I have both lights, due in part to your excellent review. :thanks:

carrot

Flashaholic
Multimode Mini Maglite LED is only $20-25 at Target, Home Depot and Walmart... Pretty decent light for twenty bucks, with a modern emitter even!

carrot

Flashaholic
Hi Carrot,

Right link, wrong model. I think you mean the S3. The S2 is the AAA light with 2 modes. I have both lights, due in part to your excellent review. :thanks:
Whoops Parnass, you are right. I forgot. I misplaced my S2 awhile back and have not been using it. I still use the S3 from time to time.

burgessdi

Newly Enlightened
Alrighty fellas, I need some guidance here. My cousins are turning 18 this month and we're going backpacking shortly after. I asked them what they wanted...bless their little hearts, they wanted lights for their b day! :twothumbs

I like em already :twothumbs

jugornot

Newly Enlightened
Good choice on the romisens. I gifted 2 rc-n3 II to friends. They were very pleased. It can be used cr123 or 2xaa. Pretty good build for the money.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're going to get a budget light for them, a Romisen RC N3 II warm white would be quite nice, pair that with quark lanyards so they can hang the lights and you're good to go.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my favorite lights currently is the Romisen RC-C6 II WW with the n3 extension tube. That way you can run it on AA's or CR123's, it has 2 modes and a great tint. With the extension tubes and shipping it might be a tiny bit over your budget but not much. I definitely prefer it to the rc-n3, which is definitely a nice light, but not as versatile as the rc-c6.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my favorite lights currently is the Romisen RC-C6 II WW with the n3 extension tube. That way you can run it on AA's or CR123's, it has 2 modes and a great tint. With the extension tubes and shipping it might be a tiny bit over your budget but not much. I definitely prefer it to the rc-n3, which is definitely a nice light, but not as versatile as the rc-c6.

+1

after reading the post above, i went to check out the RC C6 as i havent been looking around at lights much lately, been accessorising and tidying up more often now, holsters, cases, lanyards etc.

If the C6 can be adapted to use 2xAA, that coupled with the flood to spot would make it a great light! I've just given away my RC N3 II warm white to my younger brother so this might just be my next purchase (darn it!)

edit: thanks for the recommendation sol-leks!

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will be very happy with it, this is almost a perfect light imo. The warm tint is fantastic and the spot to flood is really well done, I especially like it on flood but it does throw great as well. It is also nice to have the two battery options as with the rc-n3. The only thing I would really like fixed is if the medium mode was more of a low, there doesn't seem to be much difference between the two modes.

I would honestly love to see a 50 dollar version of this light with three modes and a glass lens instead of plastic, but I only say this because I already love the light so much as is. The closest thing I have seen to what I would consider a high-end version of this light is the dereelight cl1h v4 nohs which may very well be my next light.

swsccassidy

Newly Enlightened
Right now the main players are the Romisen RC-C6, RC-N3, itp a2 eos, and maybe the mini mag. I'm actually thinking about the mini mags now, they come with a (albeit crude) holster and, as long as the LED models haven't changed, they can also be used as a lantern of sorts by removing the head and setting the light in it. Output isn't anything to write home about, but battery life and modes are acceptable for a backpacking trip. Any thoughts on this??? Thanks to all who have made suggestions, every little bit helps!

swsccassidy

Newly Enlightened
One of my favorite lights currently is the Romisen RC-C6 II WW with the n3 extension tube.

I've tried to find the extension tube, do you have a link by any chance? I searched for it and found mention of it in a thread from 9/2009 saying it wasn't available separately. The two AA format mixed with the flood to throw sounds ideal, plus on 2 AA the run time on medium seems descent. The RC-N3 from shiningbeam comes with a cr123/2AA battery tube. How does that light compare to the RC-C6?

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bryan from shiningbeam doesn't list them on his site and he doesn't always have them in stock, what you should do is email him and ask him if he has them in stock. If he does, what he had me do was purchase something of similar price from his site and then just email him to make a switch.

I think you will be very happy with the romisen if you get it, but I hear mostly good stuff about the new minimag leds too so its not a bad choice either.

If you like the candle mode on the minimag, I know some led lights can do this too, the fenix E20 for example, although it is above your budget. It is also a great light.

Another great trick that I love is if you get a clear or white film canister you can fit it perfectly over the head of the romisen rc-n3 and(I just tried this), the romisen rc-c6 as well. Turns it into an awesome candle. Most camera stores have piles of these lying around and will give you one for free.