2 is 1! 1 is none! Backup lighting?

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just unloaded my current backup lights because I figure I want to streamline my aresenal. I am considering the Quark Minis' both AA and CR123. From what I am reading these lights are a little more floody. Is that correct? My EDC primary lights tend to have a little better throw so I'm looking for floody backup/battery carry lights. Am I headed in the right direction with the Quarks? Is the tint really that green with them?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'm very pleased with my QMini 123, and don't think the tint is too green. The only time I notice is side by side with some other light on a white wall. It's plenty bright and you are correct about it being a little floodier than many others.

Geoff

carrot

Flashaholic
The Quarks with XP-G LEDs tend to be on the floodier side than a lot of similarly priced and sized lights, however, the throw of the MiNi is nothing to sneeze at especially at the size and with the huge hotspot they have. They are excellent all-rounders in my opinion. The MiNi 123 is definitely on my short list of favorite flashlights, pretty much right next to lights that cost several times its price.

The tint is a non-issue. I have a couple Quarks and have handled over a dozen. They are as pure white as I've seen on a flashlight.

The MiNi 123 is my backup light... as well as a few 5mm LED AAA lights.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Quark mini aa neutral that I use as my EDC. I can't think of a light that I would rather EDC at this moment.Defintely a great buy.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Quark MiNi is a must-have light for everyone! Good enough for ECD, small enough for backup, versatile enough to cover all bases!

jblackwood

Enlightened
I've got a Quark MiNi Ti in my bag and I neck carry my Lummi Wee with a 50 lumen engine when I don't have my back with me (both neutral tint, of course).

I've always loved this saying, especially since it reminds me of Fullmetal Alchemist:
"One is all and all is one."
"Two is one, one is none."

See what I mean?

These are all to back up either my Lunasol 20, Nitecore D10, or Ra Clicky . . . like those would ever fail . . . hehe . . . :crackup: :poof: :mecry:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I've got a Quark MiNi Ti in my bag and I neck carry my Lummi Wee with a 50 lumen engine when I don't have my back with me (both neutral tint, of course).

I've always loved this saying, especially since it reminds me of Fullmetal Alchemist:
"One is all and all is one."
"Two is one, one is none."

See what I mean?

These are all to back up either my Lunasol 20, Nitecore D10, or Ra Clicky . . . like those would ever fail . . . hehe . . . :crackup: :poof: :mecry:
Nice post and nice choices of lights!

For me the best lineup, for both main light and backup is to have them reliable enough that the backup is mainly for coverage in case of battery exhaustion or need to give to someone else. It's been a big help more than once to be able to hand a light to someone else in the group.

Ra Clicky and D10 both great lights and I keep feeling the pull of the LS20/Haiku!

jblackwood

Enlightened
Nice post and nice choices of lights!

For me the best lineup, for both main light and backup is to have them reliable enough that the backup is mainly for coverage in case of battery exhaustion or need to give to someone else. It's been a big help more than once to be able to hand a light to someone else in the group.

Ra Clicky and D10 both great lights and I keep feeling the pull of the LS20/Haiku!

Thanks, kaichu. I know what you mean, that Haiku looks brilliant, both the XR-E and XP-G . . . I was about to dive into the XR-E version and out comes the XP-G . . . I don't have the cash for both :broke: so I've got to wait until I either get the cash or until one is discontinued. The dilemmas we face, huh? lovecpf

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great minds must think alike guys! I went ahead and ordered both the mini AA and 123.....to backup my Ra Clicky 170 and D10! Just got the Clicky on Wednesday. Man what an awesome light! Hopefully the USPS fairy will be dropping off the Quarks tomorrow.