EDC suggestions? (or also likes?)

2ManyHobbies

Newly Enlightened
Sometime lurker, new poster.

Once upon a time ago when the Luxeon star was big news and LED flashlights were starting to be the rage, I did research and never found an EDC option I thought I could live with. Too big, too little battery life, too dim, no recharge option, etc. I wound up with a variety of little LED lights that all were mostly disposable, served a limited purpose, and new batteries cost more than the light did in the first place.

Fast forward to today, and pretty much all of the research I did and can remember is at least 2 generations behind. Based on current reading though, I think I've got a decent set of requirements.

• High and low output (strobe optional)
  • Single handed UI
  • Pocket carry (probably bezel down)
  • Rechargeable battery possibilities
  • Non-LEO, multi-purpose use (computer parts, network cables, changing flats, finding a runaway dog in the woods, general deterence, etc.)
  • 1-2 hours runtime at max output, 2 hours would be highly unlikely between charges/new batteries
  • Darn near indestructable
  • Medium strike bezel a plus
All of that being said, I really like the newest E2DL with the optional F04 diffuser. Are there any other lights that are similar that I should research? Are there any similar lights that I should stay the heck away from?

Thanks for the input all!

dirtech

Enlightened
lf3xt is very EDC'able. It has one handed operation and you have plenty of options for output levels. You could program it to be on low with first press and a press hold would give you a programmable high somewhat similiar to an E2DL. You could attain your 2 hour runtime on high requirement by chosing how high you want it to be.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometime lurker, new poster.

Once upon a time ago when the Luxeon star was big news and LED flashlights were starting to be the rage, I did research and never found an EDC option I thought I could live with. Too big, too little battery life, too dim, no recharge option, etc. I wound up with a variety of little LED lights that all were mostly disposable, served a limited purpose, and new batteries cost more than the light did in the first place.

Fast forward to today, and pretty much all of the research I did and can remember is at least 2 generations behind. Based on current reading though, I think I've got a decent set of requirements.

• High and low output (strobe optional)
  • Single handed UI
  • Pocket carry (probably bezel down)
  • Rechargeable battery possibilities
  • Non-LEO, multi-purpose use (computer parts, network cables, changing flats, finding a runaway dog in the woods, general deterence, etc.)
  • 1-2 hours runtime at max output, 2 hours would be highly unlikely between charges/new batteries
  • Darn near indestructable
  • Medium strike bezel a plus
All of that being said, I really like the newest E2DL with the optional F04 diffuser. Are there any other lights that are similar that I should research? Are there any similar lights that I should stay the heck away from?

Thanks for the input all!
Some excellent EDC choices:

- Muyshondt Aeon
- McGizmo Haiku
- SureFire E1L or E1B
- Lummi Raw NS
- RA Clicky

cistallus

Enlightened
Consider the 4Sevens Quark series.

Also consider an additional true EDC small always-with-you light in a key pocket or on your keyring - a Quark Mini AA or 123, or ITP A1, A2, A3 for instance.

Latest posts