Not happy with the Preon clicky

sed6

Enlightened
Just got two Preon clickys and boy they stink. Sorry David but they are not up to par with the rest of the light. I don't like that the cap spins and rattles quite a bit. The whole thing is too long and leaves a gap unless you use one of the clips as a spacer. Why not shorten it one mm to fix that? The threads are too short (not enough of them) and the finish on them is poor compared to the standard end. The o-ring groove needs to be moved away from the threads to allow the threads to engage before the super tight o-ring touches the body throwing the clicky off course and encouraging cross threading. Plus it's a reverse clicky, who wants that? Also the HA color of both the red and black is different from the bodies, not much but it's noticable. Definately not worth $11 IMHO.

On the plus side the 47 logo on the end is cool. That and I'm giving them away as gifts to non-flashaholic family members and they will never know the difference.

YMMV

Eneloops

Newly Enlightened
Are the caps colored plastic, or anodized aluminum? Are you referring to version #1 or the "newer" rounded version #2?

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reverse clicky are more compact and more durable. Who wants a forward clicky in a multimode? Lets say youre using your light walking down the road. To change modes when its on, you need to click the light off, then start to momentary press your way to your desired mode. (alot of work) Everytime you want to use the momentary feature 2 times in a row, you will change between modes...

Eneloops

Newly Enlightened
Just got my Ti Preon 1 with the new rounded Ti clicky. The clicky functions intermittently, I hope it just needs to be "broken-in". I wish it was forward without modes, but I reckon I'll get used to it - if the button ever starts working better. The box does say it's aluminum construction. Hopefully that's a mis-print? I hope I didn't pay a premium price just for titanium colored aluminum.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish it was forward without modes, but I reckon I'll get used to it
It would have been cool with a two mode, head loose for lo, tight for high, and a forward clicky. I really like that kind of ui with forward clickys. Bright and dim is all i usually need.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think clickie preference varies, if it had memory a forward clickie might make sense but it always starts in low so a reverse clickie makes more sense to me ;)
To each there own

Eneloops

Newly Enlightened
It would have been cool with a two mode, head loose for lo, tight for high, and a forward clicky. I really like that kind of ui with forward clickys. Bright and dim is all i usually need.

That is EXACTLY my favorite user interface as well. My Fenix E11 has just that, and I love it, but it's just a little too heavy with the AA, and slightly too bulky. If they made an AAA E11 in Stainless or Ti, I'd be all over that thing. Hopefully one day my dreams will come true. I don't care what company, just that configuration.

I am really digging the Preon1 with clicky tail-cap in ti. The satin finish and rounded tail-cap is really nice to behold. I've scratched it instantly, despite trying my darnedest to be careful.

This one replaced my Maratac AAA Stainless for neck string carry. I went for titanium because I want to tuck it inside my t-shirt, and ti will be happier getting sweat all over it, constantly, thank stainless. I also wanted a clicky. It's working out. I do like it a lot. Thanks to CPF - I would have never known about it.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I'm not too disappointed in the reverse clicky on this type of light but it needs to have more spring resistance. I'm on my 3rd Preon with clicky and they are constantly turning on whether clipped to my pocket or inside of my pocket. In order not to get a 'hot pocket' I have to keep the light in a certain pen tube on my left side that doesn't seem to allow as much contact with other things. I do agree that it feels terrible in operation and rattles and it's the only huge point of issue I have with the Preon.