How to Mod : Pelican Tracker 2140...?

Canon Photo

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, just came across this interesting forum not long ago. Search around but there's no posting regarding mod of Pelican Tracker 2140 light. Wondering if anyone can guide me? Thank you.

Here's the specification of the flashlight.
Specification.jpg

It's Tested Lumen Value is 8.0. I hope to mod it LED with higher Lumex. Looking at say 30-50lumex, possible? Of course I'm not looking for bright light with 1-2hrs run time. I'm looking to use the light for at least 8hrs or more. I'll be running the light with 2pcs AAA Sanyo Eneloop 800mah rechargable batteries. May I know what LED is suitable? Where can I buy? Can help provide me a link to manufacturer website?

Here's the photo of my flashlight. I think can desolder out the orginal Xenon bulk right?
PelicanTracker2140-Pic01.jpg

PelicanTracker2140-Pic02.jpg

PelicanTracker2140-Pic03.jpg

PelicanTracker2140-Pic04.jpg

This is my first project. I hope U guys can lend me a helping hands to make this LED upgrade successfully. Thank you all very much.

cheers
Canon

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

You need 30 lumens, 8 hours runtime. That is 3 watts of power if we assume a led+driver efficiency of 80 lumens per watt. The 2 eneloop AAA will provide 1.9 watts only, enough for 5 hours of runtime.

This mod is rather difficult because of the host and the battery source. It is not as simple as swap the xenon bulb for a LED one, because most of them needs 3.7 volts of input, which will require a driving board, and this leads to soldering and major pill modifications. Not easy but if these terms are familiar to you, I think that it is possible to do the mod.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
another thing to take into consideration is even an efficient LED would need proper heatsinking to reach ~30 lumen output, that plus a driver board that will make some heat also boosting the voltage has to be managed inside a plastic light. I have a UK2AAA eled that uses a boost circuit with a 5mm LED and lens that works ok and runs for about 20 hours they claim that I replaced the lens/light module with the module from a rayovac keychain and direct drive it from lithiums givinge me perhaps 10 lumens output. one other issue, you would need to replace the reflector with a deeper probably smaller diameter one or optic in order to get any decent beam pattern and throw from an LED capable of 30 lumens output.

Canon Photo

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much for all replies. Did some homework and found it's not worth the $$$$ to modify the Pelican, more lumens means I've to deal with heat issue too and need to purchase more items for the modifcation which in turn make the modification not cost effective. Think will drop the idea.

Side Tack:
I would like a more powerful torchlight and saw the pricing quite cheap at < 100USD can get 200-400lumens torch. Wondering what's fellow forummers preferrences? I'm looking at ''Ultrafire''. Any comments on this brand? What's my choice with < 100USD for 200-400lumens powered by 1x 18650 battery? Burn time need at least 1hr on high mode.

btw, anyone can provide me Ultrafire Offical website? Where is this brand from? Any info would be great.

thanks,
Canon

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wondering what's fellow forummers preferrences? I'm looking at ''Ultrafire''. Any comments on this brand?

What's my choice with < 100USD for 200-400lumens powered by 1x 18650 battery? Burn time need at least 1hr on high mode.

btw, anyone can provide me Ultrafire Offical website? Where is this brand from? Any info would be great.

Ultrafire Flashlights are far from being reliable, I don't recommend them if you are looking for a high quality product. The chances you receive a defective or not fully functional Ultrafire product is about 30%. Ultrafire brand is from China. They don't have a website, but I could say dealextreme.com is the biggest ultrafire dealer in the web.

There are a LOT of high quality flashlight that will provide 200-240 lumens and not 1, but at least 2 hours of runtime with a single 18650.

These are the brand names and models you must look for:

Fenix: TK11R2 $75
Eagletac: T20C2 Mark II $85,
Jetbeam: RRT2 $110 If you can higher your budget, definetly get this one.

These three have proven reliability and won't dissapoint you. There are more options than these but if you look at too many flashlights you will either end up buying them all or not buying any because you can't decide.

You may want to start a new topic on the LED flashlights forum to talk about this, we will be glad to help you

Last edited: