Tailstand Issue?

Stevie

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

My new Olight T10 has a wobble when tailstanding. Is this normal for reverse clickies? Olight's website says "will stand firmly on a flat surface". Switch is protruding < 0.5mm ish.

It's not a major issue as it doesn't effect the function or reliability of the light, but I just wondered how many other CPF users have wobbly lights when really they should be stable?

Cheers - Steve

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check this: does your torch stop wobbling when it is open i.e. without the head?
In the affirmative the reason is the air trapped inside the body that inflates a bit the rubber boot. Possible remedial action: proceed really slowly when you screw in the two halves after changing the battery.

Also: have you checked that the ring holding the switch and its boot is properly in place/well tightened?

McAllan

Enlightened
Don't have an Olight T10 but I'll come with a few suggestions. Of course there's the possibility of a manufacturing error which means the switch are sitting closer to the end than it should be. Or the assembly could have been tightened a bit more than it should be (that's possible with some DX lights etc.) or the rubber boot has a bit too much rubber inside which make it bulge a little (again something common with DX lights etc.). Often the cheap lights have a nipple inside which can be trimmed a bit (carefully to make it even).
Does it come with a another rubber boot? If so you could try that.

On the other hand while I haven't had any problems with my higher quality Fenixes I really wonder about what they write with just about all their light "Capable of standing up securely on a flat surface to serve as a candle". Yeah right. Just about all of their LDxx and PDxx are standing so insecure because of the tail design so that a bumble bee can knock them over and sways if someone releases a wind 6 feet away. The Older LxD etc. was much better in that respect.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably not the answer you are looking for but this works a treat,pop in to a nice little plumbers merchants and get a tiny off cut of foam pipe insulation that would fit your light,sit it in it and it will tail stand all day long and the cost will be more than likely zero or at the most a few cents as off cuts are of no use to them.

Stevie

Newly Enlightened
Well, I fixed it!

I found that if the tail cap is torqued right up very tightly, this makes the rubber boot protrude.

So I tried reversing the tailcap 1/2 a turn. Result - no wobble.

Then I started to think, well if it's not tightened fully, does that mean water / dust ingress etc??

So starting from a loose cap, I slowly screwd it together and stopped when I felt the "bite" from the resistance of the o-ring. Then I tightened it another 1/4 of a turn to be sure that the light was sealed.

It still tailstands with no wobble. Thanks for your input guys!

:party: